cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Visio Blank WICs / Modules

Ryan Curry
Level 1
Level 1

I've been searching high and low for a "blank" stencil to fill in module and WIC areas of a 2821 router that I'm diagraming.  Does anyone have any suggestions or a link to where I can get a hold of something that will work?  It seems that Cisco is somewhat lax lately on their visio stencil offerings.

Thanks all!

10 Replies 10

nickhesson
Level 1
Level 1

+1

I would assume these would be the easiest stencils to make, but can find them anywhere.  Can anyone tell me were to get them? 

Thanks,

Nick

Did you find a Blank WIC stencil/shape on that page.  Because Yes, that link is where we all go to get Cisco Stencils.    But I can not find in any zip having a Blank WIC.  Just to be clear, the OP and I are referring to part number WIC-BLANK-PANEL.  Something that closes up the black holes on the router. 

Something that I just have done for now, was take any WIC, ungroup it a few times, then remove everything except for the holes and hand screws.  But what I can't do is re-group the shape were the hand screws look normal.  But for now, its good enough.  If any of you know how to re-group or edit stencils properly, let me know.

Thanks for your time and help,

Nick

HI Nick,

The reason you cannot easily ungroup that image is because, as part of the production process, we convert the Visio geometry to Enhanced Metafile Image (emf) format and embed it in a Visio shape.  There are several reasons for this including:

Improve performance when dragging, dropping, resizing, and moving shapes
Maintain proportional text font size when resizing
Every piece of Visio geometry and text has a ShapeSheet behind it which contains data about the shape's contents, size, postition, formatting, etc.  When a device shape is rendered with the level of detail we apply, the simple act of moving a shape will produce a lag because every geometric object's ShapeSheet is recalculationg.  When we convert it to a .emf image, it is still a vector image (as opposed to bitmapped or pixel image) so it remains sharp.  However, Visio does not need to handle all of those calculations since it's just an image with one ShapeSheet behind it.

When you ungroup the shape, Visio breaks up the metafile image back to individual geometric objects but it does not conserve all of the original information that went into the source Visio drawing of the device that was converted to metafile.  Therefore you often see unexpected results.

OK, so that's why you are having trouble ungrouping.  The key question is that you need something that's missing from the stencils.  I've run a blank cover plate shape for you and it's been uploaded to

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-22049.  This shape will not be in the official Routers-Cisco 2900.vss on the download page until the next revision to that product stencil.  I hope this is helpful.

Brett Newman

Cisco Visio Stencil Development

Visimation Inc.

I was having the same problem.  Thank you for the stencil.

Thanks for the Stencil!!!

Thanks for the Stencil!

Have blank Visio stencils been posted anywhere else other Cisco Customer's can download them?

I am not authorized to access the above link mentioned.

Tyler Mitchell
John Deere

Hi Tyler,

It seems that the link I provided has been disabled so I'm attaching the file here.

Brett Newman

Cisco Visio Stencil Development

Visimation Inc.

www.shapesource.com

Thank you for this. It has been driving me crazy. I was able to get it from this attached file.

-Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: