Views
Helpful
Replies

7600: changing mpls experimental bit

p.falconi
Level 1
Level 1

is it possible to change mpls exeperimental bit

for traffic that enters a 7600 interface ?

i've tried with  "no mls qos mpls trust experimental"

configured under the input interface
but my attempt was unsuccessful

6 Replies 6

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

I have not done it before, but from my understanding, you would have to do so as part of an MQC-based policy that you would configure and apply to the interface. Again, this is my understanding, not Gospel. Try doing it this way to see if you are successful.

Victor

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What do you want to change it to?

You can apply an input service policy to match on the MPLS EXP and set it to another MPLS EXP value.

If you want to clear any MPLS EXP value to 0, then simply enable MLS QOS globally and do not trust the port.

Regards

Edison

Edison;

I believe he tried not trusting but ran into an issue, thats why I recommended what you did -- setting another policy to change it.

Victor

thanks Victor,

i've tried,unsuccessfully, with the following configuration

input interface is  WS-X6516-GBIC

ios:122-33.SRD4

policy-map SETEXP

class class-default

set mpls experimental imposition 3

interface GigabitEthernet3/1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no mls qos mpls trust experimental

service-policy input SETEXP

end

sh policy-map interface GigabitEthernet3/1

GigabitEthernet3/1

Service-policy input: SETEXP

class-map: class-default (match-any)

Match: any

set mpls experimental 3:

Earl in slot 5 :

5612026684 bytes

30 second offered rate 837104 bps

aggregate-forwarded 5612026684 bytes

pierluigi

Hello Pierluigi,

if the input interface is a L2 trunk you may be able to set 802.1p CoS but not MPLS exp.

if you had used that service policy on a layer3 interface with MPLS enabled then you would be able to match packets on MPLS EXP bits and to set MPLS EXP bits

the reason is that on wire the frame will appear as an 802.1Q frame with next protocol MPLS

eth Header | 802.1Q 4 byte tag | MPLS 4 byte tag| IPv4 packet or other upper layer PDU

I would expect to be able to change MPLS EXP on a L3 MPLS enabled interface, not on a L2 802.1Q trunk.

Edit:

I've checked on Config guide it should be possible to match on L2 ports I would try with only the input service policy applied

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/ios/12.2SR/configuration/guide/mplsqos.html#wp1481775

there are also EXP mutation maps but these are not supported on layer2 interfaces.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

ok, thank you Giuseppe

since 7600 is able to change dscp even for l2 switched packet, i would expect it could change mpls experimental too,

but i was wrong

pierluigi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card