cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSOM motion recording

cmccauley37
Level 1
Level 1

My question is about motion recording.  When the system is configured to record by motion it looks like it does so in 1 hour loops – how can you change that or access/search archives older than one hour?

14 Replies 14

mcwalter
Level 3
Level 3

sounds like you are running VSOM/VSMS version 4.2/6.2.

If you want to use motion configs you have some work to do. You have to set up events to trigger on motion, define the motion area, set up specific archiving to save that motion and how long you want to retain the archive.

Its easier than it sounds but you cannot just click the motion box in batch admin and have it magically work. Sorry. I wish it worked like that.

Hi,

I am facing a similar problem , i want it to record based on motion , created an event ,selected the archive and  made schedule but it is still recording all the time

Any advise

VSOM will record all video until the system starts to run low on disk space it will then delete video that is not tagged as motion.

pieterddejong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Try disabling the event.

No logic here from Cisco but this works.

Regards

Pieter

Any resolution on this?

Event is setup

Schedule is set (Recurring)

Archives/Clips are set

Still it detects and records events outside of the scheduled time.

??????

pieterddejong
Level 1
Level 1

Yeah,

The last I did it was on Vsom 6.2. Configured the event, then disabled it to complete the configuration, then lastly enabled it whcih seemed to work.

We found any version prior 6.2 was waste of time with motion recording.

Good luck

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, this is driving me crazy. I can kind of get it working but then it doesn't function properly...

I'll post here if I find any solutions.

Yhya Akef
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have a problem concerning motion recording .

I created an event , window of motion with highest sensitivity , select an archive for recording

but some motions aren't recorded ( I'm using VSOM 6.3.0 , Camera Firmware 2.1.2 )

Any advise ?

I found that it depends on how long you want each event to be recorded. So if you trigger an event at 12:00, and

motion detected is set to record for 30 secs after the event, an event at 12:00:

15 will not trigger as a motion. Besides that, we found the motion detection to be pretty good from Ver 6.2.

Motion Detection is set to record 5 sec. after the event and also some motions aren't recorded

Cory Blackman
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Chris, how'z it going?  =)  Cisco still has not written the correct procedure in the VSG 6.3.1 User's Guide for Motion-Only recording, but there are ways in unreleased documents to do this, if you wanted to know for non-IFS reasons then email me for the "undocumented ways" and i'll supply them, otherwise we're good on this over at IFS.  Cheers. 

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Chris,

Have you been able to achieve your desired result?

If you are seeing a 1 hour loop for the feed, then it sounds like you have an archive configured for this feed as a 1 hour loop.  If you only want to record motion events, then you don't need to configure an archive at all for the feed.

1. With the camera added, and the feed working, just go in and configure your event. 
  2. Enable motion-detection then go into the Motion Start tab, then the Archives tab. 
  3. Check the box for Start Archives and in the top section showing all the feeds check the box next to the feed for the camera.  No need to check any other feeds, or any of the archives in the section below it. 

Please mark the question as answered if anyone has answered it for you.  Otherwise, please give us an update and let us know if we can help.

Thanks,

Sean

I hope Cisco will publish a configuration guide for motion configuration and other complex configuration. Hopefully, with screenshots as well because the help functions on the VSM is not that helpful sometimes.

Yes, Cisco needs to define the differences, like Scheduled MotionDetection-Only Recording&Archiving verses MotionDetectionEvent Archiving in Loops.  It can get confusing trying to get these setup using the VSM UG, so i look forward to the 6.3.2 VSM UG.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: