Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Interface configuration on 861W

msee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about WAN interfacing on my 861W.  The integrated services router has 5 Fast Ethernet ports, 0-3 are Part of the default Vlan1 and port 4 is the designated WAN port.  I was considering adding a second ISP and was wondering if there was any way to provision this router for Load Balancing / Failover.  Since ports 0-3 are part of Vlan1 I'm assuming that a single port in this range cannot be provisioned for WAN use, but what about switching how Vlan1 and Fe4 are configured for NAT?  In all reality, I would be ok with only having 1 lan port as I can connect this to a switch.  Could I switch Vlan1 to be the outside NAT interface and Fe4 be the inside NAT interface?  I had already checked if the ip nat command was available for individual ports and the default vlan.  The command is not available for any of the LAN ports but is available for the Vlan1 interface.  Here's what I mean:

861W(config)#interface FastEthernet3
861W(config-if)#ip ?

Interface IP configuration subcommands:

address     xxxxxxxx

ddns          xxxxxxxx

dhcp          xxxxxxxx

whereas on interface Vlan1:

861W(config)#interface Vlan1
861W(config-if)#ip ?

Interface IP configuration subcommands:

address     xxxxxxxx

ddns          xxxxxxxx

...(Insert lots of lines)...
     nat          Nat Interface commands

...(Insert lots of lines)...

and when I:

861W(config-if)#ip nat ?

allow-static-host     xxxxx

enable                   xxxxx

inside                    xxxxx

outside                  xxxxx

So...this leads me to believe that the Vlan1 can be reconfigured for the outside NAT interface.  The question becomes whether or not it even matters.  Even if I reconfigure the router so Vlan1 is the outside NAT interface and Fe4 is the inside interface, could I use multiple ports (Fe0-3) for direct WAN interfaces?

I'm assuming that there is no simple solution here.  Since these ports are really switch ports and cannot be removed from Vlan1...this is the only option that I could even consider that would work.  I know this is way outside normal use for this device...but I hate thinking about having to go buy a different Cisco router that has multiple WAN interfaces after just spending some $$ for the 861W.  In which case I would still have to buy a separate wireless access point as well.

Thanks so much for the help!!!

Mike

Driven Technology

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Gaurav Gambhir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this is the limit on the vlans that you can create on these devices.

The number of VLANs that can be supported on the platforms below.

851 - 1 vlan

871 - 4 vlans with the Adv. IP services feature set

861 - 2 vlans

881 - 8 vlans

So what you can do create vlan2 and add the FA3 in vlan 2 and configure vlan 2 as inside interface and two wan interfaces i.e, vlan1 anf Fa4 and configure nat and default route accordingly.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Gaurav Gambhir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

this is the limit on the vlans that you can create on these devices.

The number of VLANs that can be supported on the platforms below.

851 - 1 vlan

871 - 4 vlans with the Adv. IP services feature set

861 - 2 vlans

881 - 8 vlans

So what you can do create vlan2 and add the FA3 in vlan 2 and configure vlan 2 as inside interface and two wan interfaces i.e, vlan1 anf Fa4 and configure nat and default route accordingly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: