Client Association in H-REAP mode - getting 0.0.0.0

Unanswered Question
Apr 27th, 2010

I am experiencing issues with clients not getting ip addresses when they connect to an access point in H-REAP mode. There are 2 WiSMs at our headquarters and various 1242's around the world that connect back to the WiSMs. The most common reoccurrence of this issue seems to occur at the Bogota, Colombia location. The access point will be operating normally and the clients pull addresses from their local subnet (the AP is in H-REAP mode); at some point in the day, the AP will not assign ip addresses anymore and clients just pull 0.0.0.0. I am not sure if the AP is just going into standalone mode and cannot authenticate new clients because it cannot build a successful tunnel to the controller. I enabled H-REAP Mode AP Fast Heartbeat Timer State and tweaked the timeout, but it does appear to have remedied this issue. Is there any limitation on how many H-REAP AP's can be connected to a controller?

The WiSMs are running version 5.2.178.0 code.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
rbtrepton Tue, 09/14/2010 - 18:12

Hello vancamt76,

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I am noticing the same thing with my HREAP access points. It seems to me that this problem occurs when the primary WAN link loses connectivity. So an outage even a slight one lasting about 10-15 seconds begins this problem. In many cases a simple reboot of the AP gets the DHCP working again.

Any insight you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thank you,

Ron

Surendra BG Tue, 09/14/2010 - 18:20

When we lose the connectivity, that is.. when the client is getting 0.0.0.0 IP , at this time what is the VLAN mapping?? do we see the correct vlan mapped? or is it changed??

Regards

Surendra

rbtrepton Tue, 09/14/2010 - 18:51

Hello Surendra,

All the clients get their IP reservations from the router and that is on vlan 1. I do not have vlan support checked for the APs on the WLC. Could that be my issue?

rbtrepton Wed, 09/15/2010 - 04:57

If I understand the technology correctly since we are getting an IP addresss from the remote WAN router passed to the clients at the remote site we are using local switching.

Surendra BG Wed, 09/15/2010 - 17:23

Yes you are right.. under the WLAN >> advanced >> is the LOCAL switching Checked??

Regards

Surendra

Surendra BG Wed, 09/15/2010 - 19:22

run the debug "debug client on the WLC when the issue occurs and we need t ocheck whats happening... or pls open a TAC case..

Regards

Surendra

rbtrepton Fri, 09/17/2010 - 10:46

OK I went to a site that I saw the wireless client getting 0.0.0.0

It looks like I am having trouble passing machine authentication and not getting an IP address before a user signs in. Looking at my ACS logs I see this is only happening with APs in HREAP mode.

danielfalemo Thu, 09/23/2010 - 06:39

Hi,

I am having the same problem that client show an 0.0.0.0 address but when i check the mac address in the router i can see that the mac address binds to an ip address and i can ping the client on this ip address. So for my issue the client has an ip address which works but it does not show in the controller. In this network we are also using static wep keys so it is not an issue that the client has to authenticate first. Another strange thing is that some of the clients show an ip address and some do not and this is on the same access point.

/Daniel

Actions

This Discussion