This discussion is locked

ASK THE EXPERTS - DEPLOYING MOBILE SOLUTIONS FOR CISCO UC

Unanswered Question
Apr 26th, 2010

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn more about deploying mobile solutions for Cisco Unified Communications with Cisco expert Mike Coffin. Mike works in the IP Communications Business Unit as a technical marketing engineer focusing on Cisco Unified Communications Mobility products such as the Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7920, Cisco Unified Wireless IP Phone 7921G, dual-mode phones, Cisco Unified Mobility and Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Prior to his current position, he worked in Advanced Services supporting large service providers core routing networks before moving into engineering. Mr. Coffin is CCIE certified in Routing & Switching, Service Provider, and Voice technologies.

Remember to use the rating system to let Mike know if you have received an adequate response.

Mike might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 7, 2010. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
htluo Mon, 04/26/2010 - 05:46

With CUMA being discontinued, what's Cisco's roadmap on mobility?  How are mobile clients (CUMC) going to retrieve their configuration without CUMA?

Thanks!

Michael

CHRIS CHARLEBOIS Mon, 04/26/2010 - 06:27

Are there any plans to provide some kind of mobility client for Android smartphones?  What about including location-based information provided by Android- or iPhone-based phones into products like Presence?

shrutid22 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 20:29

Hi There

Check Cisco Mobile 8.0.

It is ONE solution for CUMC, Unified Mobility, Meeting center and Webex. all in ONE.

Requires CUCM 7.1.3 or higher and CUC 7.0 or higher.

HTH

htluo Tue, 04/27/2010 - 20:40

Thanks for your info.  Correct me if I was wrong.

1) Cisco Mobile 8.0 is now only for iPhone.

2) Cisco Mobile 8.0 is *just* a dual mode phone software.  If you want to use mobility features like DVO, you need Cisco Mobile 7.1.3.  (ie. you need Cisco Mobile 7.1.3 + Cisco Mobile 8.0 if you want mobility and dual-mode)

3) Cisco Mobile was NEVER a ONE solution.  And I don't see it will be in this calendar year.  Not even to mention Webex and MeetingPlace.  Those are separate software.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

mcoffin Wed, 04/28/2010 - 13:39

Hi Michael,

CUMA has not been discontinued. The CUMA server 7.1.3 version is supported with CUCM server version 8.0. We have clients for BlackBerry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and iPhone.

However, we do have a new client for iPhone that does many of the same things that our CUMC client did previously:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps7271/data_sheet_c78-595424.html

This includes features like Voice over WLAN, directory access, and Visual Voicemail. These features can be used over WLAN or 3G/VPN.

-Mike

htluo Wed, 04/28/2010 - 13:44

Sorry for the confusion.  When I said "discontinued", I didn't mean "end of sale" or "end of life".  But Cisco is NOT going to continue the development on CUMA (ie. CUMA 8.0).  And there will be no CUMA server in the future.

What's Cisco's roadmap on that?

Regarding the link you sent (Cisco Mobile 8.0), it is NOT the same thing CUMC did before.  It's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT product.  ie. Cisco Mobile 8.0 is NOT the "next version" of Cisco Mobile 7.1.3.  If you want all features(DVO+Dual-Mode), you'll need 7.1.3 and 8.0 on the same iPhone.  It's so confusing.  That's why I asked for roadmaps.

Thanks!

Michael

mcoffin Mon, 05/03/2010 - 08:35

Hi Michael,

Unfortunately, we are not able to share roadmap details here. However, Cisco will have new mobile products and initiatives over the coming months.

Cheers,

-Mike

James Hawkins Thu, 04/29/2010 - 03:57

Hi,

Do you know whether Cisco Mobile is going to included in CUWL (and thus will be available for existing CUWL customers). I guess if so it would be for CUWL Pro users?

Also what is the story on Codecs? - no iLBC or ISAC seems a bit strange.

Also will this be launching on other platforms and if so what and when?

Was the iPhone done first as the developers are Apple fanboys or are Blackberry/Android/Symbian handsets not suitable this this type of app?

Any roadmap to get Presence supported?

shrutid22 Thu, 04/29/2010 - 17:22

Hi

I think the Cisco Mobile 8.0 Data sheet says "Cisco Mobile 8.0 is one of several Cisco solutions for the iPhone and other mobile devices." I think other mobile devices are also supported.

Cheers

Shruti

This message and any attached documents contain information from PANACHE Corporation that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not read, copy, distribute, or use this information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.

htluo Thu, 04/29/2010 - 19:34

Not for now.  If it does, it should specify which OS, such as Symbina, Android, WinMobile, etc.

Cisco's policy was "if something was not explicitly supported, it's not supported."

Michael

mcoffin Mon, 05/03/2010 - 08:38

Hi James,

Cisco Mobile is included in CUWL Pro. We are considering adding additional codecs to the client in future versions, including iLBC and ISAC.

Cheers,

-Mike

Chris Tolley Wed, 04/28/2010 - 09:00

Echo on Michael's question regarding Mobility Advantage. We are currently on CUCMBE 7 and CUPS 7 and possibly looking to implement Mobility Advantage in some form later this year. In what form will this be available?

mcoffin Mon, 05/03/2010 - 08:48

Hi Chris,

It depends on the functionality that you are looking for and the platform.

If you are using BlackBerry devices I would look at our new MVS solution. It will provide single number reach and voice over WLAN.

If you are using iPhones, you can check out the new Cisco Mobile application, which provides visual voicemail and voice over WLAN.

For other devices and features, you can still use the CUMA solution.

Cheers,

-Mike

Chris Tolley Mon, 05/03/2010 - 10:18

Thanks for the tip on MVS, that offers some interesting possibilities although I'm guessing it

cannot do presence?

My understanding is CUMA is capable of presence (excepting Iphones), will presence on

Iphones be possible at some point?

Chris

sibinaziz Sun, 05/02/2010 - 05:00

This is regarding the configuration related issue of Cisco ATA 186 for our FAX machines, we installed these devices in the network but were not able to call & send fax to the external telephone numbers, all internal communications are happening well including fax, we need a solution for this issue please help us. We are having Cannon L380S and Cannon L100 Fax machines & see the details below.

Cisco ATA 186/188 Series Analog Telephone Adaptor

SERIAL #: FCH1302CJC1
PRODUCT ID #: ATA186-I1-A
PRODUCT TYPE (Model Number): Cisco ATA 186
SOFTWARE VERSION: 3.02.03(051201A (SCCP)
Firmware :ATA030203SCCP051201A.zup

tenaro.gusatu.novici Mon, 05/03/2010 - 08:22

Hi Mr. Coffin,

is it mandatory for you to be part of Ask-the-Expert sessions? I believed that's the main role of the TME, to spread the word about particular product(s). People are expecting more than one incomplete answer per week, to be as polite as possible.

Best regards,

Tenaro

calmichael Mon, 05/03/2010 - 09:02

How does the ASA Phone Proxy feature fit into the Cisco Mobility story going forward?

I ask as an investment into the previous proxy product the UPP (Metreos) seemed to only last 18 months before Cisco unvealed the ASA Phone Proxy feature (and licensing).

The ASA Phone Proxy has enjoyed its 18 months and it appears that the CUCM 8 VPN feature may now be it's replacement.

Another poster in this thread also alluded to Cisco stopping development of CUMA 8 which also utilized this same ASA feature.

Thanks

mcoffin Fri, 05/07/2010 - 08:28

The ASA can be repurposed for a number of tasks (VPN, SSL proxy, firewall, etc), which is why we used it for mobility as well. I would expect if the ASA was not used in its current form, it would be re-used in a similar manner going forward.

-Mike

calmichael Thu, 05/06/2010 - 13:40

Is there a way outside of deploying a V3PN type solution of allowing the newer video enabled endpoints like the Cisco 9971/51 to be used in office at home scenarios (e.g. CUCM 8 VPN or ASA Phone Proxy)?

Thanks

mcoffin Fri, 05/07/2010 - 08:58

I'm not nearly as familiar with this area, but my understanding would be that you would need to use a VPN or poke some holes into your firewall. I'll see if I can find any additional details I can post here.

-Mike

Md. Mijanur Rahman Fri, 05/07/2010 - 08:22

Hi, I'm looking for a large scale solution for IPTSP (IP Telephony Service Provider) with Cisco based platforms, primarily I have already thought for CUCM and CUMA, desk phones and soft clients are really not an issue but I'm worried about the mobile users. Other IPTSP are providing service with asterisk based systems, mobile phones are installed with their sip clients, can we work with CUMA on the same scale? Billing and Reporting is also a major requirement in the case, expecting your input here considering everything I have specified. Thanks.

Actions

This Discussion