Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5520 email alert configuration

hi all

I am trying to setup email alert on our ASA 5520 so that i can receive emails to my exchange account below is the configuration

logging enable
logging timestamp
logging buffer-size 10000
logging monitor notifications
logging buffered warnings
logging asdm informational
logging mail alerts
logging from-address asa5520@bhusd.org
logging recipient-address kgopinathan@bhusd.org level errors
logging facility 23

smtp-server 172.17.1.12

The smtp server is in our internal network

first i am not able to ping 172.17.1.12 as ping is blocked ....i did this confgi like two days before..but ca see alerts and error messages through asdm but no mail is  coming in .. so please help with some suggestions

5 Replies 5

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are logging alerts to your emails. There will not be many syslogs at that level.

Try using notifications or informational just as a test. Informational will generate to many logs keep in mind.

I hope it helps.

PK

i used warnings but still no mails..i tried to capture the smtp packets between the firewall inside interface

and the mail server..there was not two way communication...i gave an another ip address which is my laptop in which smtp was open..and again capture packets i see two way communication but still there is no mail to my account...can we use any publicly available smtp server was getting mail to our internal email...please help me with your suggestions

As long as the smtp server will accept emails form the ASA's ip address then you can use it.

Also not the l"ogging recipient-address kgopinathan@bhusd.org level errors" that you have. Check if bumping the level there makes a difference.

PK

hi we solved the problem by adding a static route in our exchange server

Shankar Murali
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks a lot. I thought of doing this and found successful. Do any one have an idea of getting ASA alerts tru SMS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card