Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS in Cisco Switches using LMS 3.1

akash04lingam
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Please tell me the procedure to upgrade the IOS on Cisco switches using LMS 3.1

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The specifics will depend on the exact switch type.  However, in general, you go to RME > Software Management > Software Repository, and first make sure the desired image is in the repository.  If not, you can add it from Cisco.com, the local server's file system, or from a device in the network.  Once the image is in the repo, go to Software Distribution, and start a deployment job either by device or by image.  Select the device and image, fill in the appropriate options, and RME will do the rest for you.  Along the way, you can consult the context-sensitive online help for more information on each step.

You can also consult the RME 4.2 user's guide for more on working with Software Management:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_resource_manager_essentials/4.2/user/guide/swmgt.html

Thanks for your speedy response Joe,

Needs to know before upgrading the IOS on switches, how to take the backup of the config using LMS.

Go to RME > Config Mgmt > Archive Mgmt > Sync Archive, and run a sync job against the switch in question.  If it completes successfully, then RME will have the latest version of the switch's configuration in its archive.

Hi,

I have tried to upgrade IOS using RME-> Software Mgmt -> Software Distribution. I have got two errors. I have attached the screenshot of the error message. Please check the error and tell me the solution to overcome it.