Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500 setup with Windows 7 / Vista.

raanan144
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For any still having trouble with the intial config of a CE500 Switch using Windows 7 / Vista...

Sure all of you have heard of the setup button and how to use it, its obvious Windows 7 / Vista do not properly recieve the DHCP, maybe an issue with the some new Microsoft legislation, the install address of the device in its setup phase, which you can read by the setup led burning steadily is 169.254.0.1

You wont be able to connect to this address in Windows 7 / Vista if you configure it statically, you will be able to view the Gratituous ARP from the Device using Wireshark, in the Windows 7 / Vista network adapter tci/ip v4 settings click on the advanced tab, there enter 169.254.0.1 as the default gateway, press the Setup button on the switch, wait for it to blink, connect your utp cable to port 1 check that the Setup LED is burning stable, type 169.254.0.1 into your web browser and enter a management IP address for the switch, alternatively use Cisco Network Assistant.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

For any still having trouble with the intial config of a CE500 Switch using Windows 7 / Vista...

Sure all of you have heard of the setup button and how to use it, its obvious Windows 7 / Vista do not properly recieve the DHCP, maybe an issue with the some new Microsoft legislation, the install address of the device in its setup phase, which you can read by the setup led burning steadily is 169.254.0.1

You wont be able to connect to this address in Windows 7 / Vista if you configure it statically, you will be able to view the Gratituous ARP from the Device using Wireshark, in the Windows 7 / Vista network adapter tci/ip v4 settings click on the advanced tab, there enter 169.254.0.1 as the default gateway, press the Setup button on the switch, wait for it to blink, connect your utp cable to port 1 check that the Setup LED is burning stable, type 169.254.0.1 into your web browser and enter a management IP address for the switch, alternatively use Cisco Network Assistant.

Hi,

When you connect a Host that runs the Microsoft Windows Vista OS, you get an IP but no default gateway and thus are unable to communicate with the CE500 switch.

This issue occurs because of a difference in design between Windows Vista and Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Specifically, in Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot process the DHCP discovery packets.

As a workaround, you can upgrade to Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(25)SEG2 or later, which can be downloaded from Cisco Downloads ( registered customers only) .

About windows 7 it can also be issue as it has startd fro XP (SP2).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Hi,

When you connect a Host that runs the Microsoft Windows Vista OS, you get an IP but no default gateway and thus are unable to communicate with the CE500 switch.

This issue occurs because of a difference in design between Windows Vista and Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). Specifically, in Windows XP SP2, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is set to 0 (disabled). In Windows Vista, the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets is not disabled. Therefore, some non-Microsoft DHCP servers cannot process the DHCP discovery packets.

As a workaround, you can upgrade to Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2(25)SEG2 or later, which can be downloaded from Cisco Downloads ( registered customers only) .

About windows 7 it can also be issue as it has startd fro XP (SP2).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Thanks for expounding further on this issue Ganesh, what you say clarifies why its a challenge to get this thing talking in version of windows later than XP.

Thing is, you don't need the IP address on your computer in Windows 7 / Vista, you simply need to configure the TCP/IP stack to accept the port 80 transaction from the Switch, setting a default gateway with the factory-default ip of 196.254.0.1 in the Advanced settings of the Windows 7 / Vista TCP/IP Stack solves this issue, without any further upgrades or changes necessary.

Thanks for expounding further on this issue Ganesh, what you say clarifies why its a challenge to get this thing talking in version of windows later than XP.

Thing is, you don't need the IP address on your computer in Windows 7 / Vista, you simply need to configure the TCP/IP stack to accept the port 80 transaction from the Switch, setting a default gateway with the factory-default ip of 196.254.0.1 in the Advanced settings of the Windows 7 / Vista TCP/IP Stack solves this issue, without any further upgrades or changes necessary.

Thanks for sharing a useful information for windows vista/7 to configure CE 500 switches.

Ganesh.H

tstough01
Level 1
Level 1

I have to say that is smart thinking with setting the gateway manually.  However, I would like to see if someone has a solution for this:

"Note: For Cisco IOS Software FY series releases, the management IP address is 10.0.0.1. For Cisco IOS Software SEG series releases, the IP address is 169.254.0.1."

My CE500 uses the FY series release of the Cisco IOS, hence my default IP on the device should be 10.0.0.1.  And I have tried the 169....address and it doesn't work, which leads me to believe that my firmware is still the original.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

you can enter both 169.254.0.1 and 10.0.0.1 in the gateway tab, you may use multiple preconfigured gateways so that shouldn't be a problem.

remember, its switchport 1, you turn the device on, you disconnect switchport 1, you press the setup tab until the LED begins to blink, you connect switchport 1, if the setup LED burns stable green you have your connection, if your still unable, use a packet sniffer, read the packet output/input on your NIC, you'll see the one-time broadcast from the switch, then is the time to type the IP address in your browser and set the thing up, use CNA, Cisco developed the software for this device range...

hope this helps.

Much appreciated Ra'anan.  I completely didn't think about using multiple Static IPs.  As far as the setup process, I got that down with no problem.  It's just getting into the device itself.  The Packet Sniffer idea is a good one that I also didn't think about.  As far as the CNA Software, I do a;ready have that installed and have been trying to use it.  However, there are 2 things that happen with it so far:  1>  The Device Dropdown shows only a CE530 (which I attempt to use;  2>  The device detection always fails.

I think that I may have to download the MIBs for Cisco devices.  Then the correct device should be listed in the CNA dropdown list in Step #1.  Would this be correct?

windows 7 work around as the DHCP does not correctly assign address to the laptop running windows 7

1 set up the pc with the following

ip add 169.254.0.2

s/m 255.255.255.0

D/G 169.254.0.1

then browse to 169.254.0.1

2 if this does not work then use the following

ip add 10.10.0.1

S/M 255.255.255.0

D/G 10.0.0.1

then browse to 10.0.0.1

good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco