cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shaping traffic to an Ethernet WAN

gmckay948bt
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to shape traffic on multiple sub-interfaces on an egress port of an IOS router? I have a situation where I will have several virtual circuits from multiple spoke sites terminating at an HQ site which will be the hub, presented on a 100Mbps Ethernet access circuit, each with a max virtual circuit speed - e.g. 10Mbps.

7 Replies 7

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you provide the model of the box?

Regards,

jerry

Jerry, the model I've advised to consider is an ASR 1002. Originally I was thinking 3945, but believe that a 3945 may not be able to handle multiple shaping instances as well as an ASR 1002.

Regards

Hi Gordon, both router should be able to do it if it is a subrate 100MB circuit.

Regards,

jerry

Thanks Jerry. It is a 100MB circuit today, with 3 x 10MB and 1 x 4MB vc's today, but with more vc's and possible requirement to scale to 1 GB access circuit in future. Would ASR be better for that?

regards

ASR would be better if you are planning to scale it to 1GE later (3900 cannot do line rate GE).

Also, just want to make sure you are doing it like Edison said in his post.

Regards,

jerry

I've yet to read the detail, but it looks like a good solution.

Thanks again

You should be able to with HQF

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/qos/configuration/guide/qos_frhqf_support.html

Be aware of the IOS requirements.

Regards

Edison

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco