Wireless basic

Unanswered Question
Apr 28th, 2010
User Badges:

guys i am very new to wireless had few questions as we will be putting 4402 WLC and 7 LWAP.......now can someone tell m,e what is the difference between AP Manager, manager ......what is service port used for and distribution port...........

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
dancampb Wed, 04/28/2010 - 07:07
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

The management interface is the default interface of the controller.  This is the interface you would use to manage the controller.  It is also where radius packets are sent to/from, etc.

The ap-manager is the interface that is the source/destintion for LWAPP encapsulated packets between the controller and AP.

The service port is for out of band managment.  Sort of like an Aux port on a router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/6.0/configuration/guide/c60mint.html

Leo Laohoo Wed, 04/28/2010 - 15:23
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

The Management IP address is the only interface which can be pinged or accessed.  It is used to "manage" the WLC.

The AP Manager is a "logical" interface used by the APs to communicate.  The new WLC 5500 does away with the AP Manager.  It is recommended that the AP Manager and the Managemenet IP address should be in the same subnet.

Finally, the Service Port is used for Out-Of-Bound-Management (OoBM).  The IP address of this device has to be unique by itself.  I use this to HTML into the WLC by directly connecting my laptop to the console port.

Actions

This Discussion