cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trend Micro CSC-SSM Problem

ANGELO DE MASI
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've just upgraded a Trend Micro CSC-SSM module on a ASA 5510 8.0(4) to 6.3.1172.2 version.I configured url filtering policies for user and group in my Windows 2003 Domain, I installed 2 Domain Controller Agent respectively on PDC and BDC servers, and under user identification setting in Trend Micro console, I can see both servers correctly recognized with no errors. My problem is that url-filtering policies that I created are randomly applied to the users: some allowed sites are suddenly blocked, and viceversa. Looking at logs, it seems an userid verification issue, some userid can't be resolved and others are resolved discontinuosly.

I need some help to solve this issue. Thank you very much in advance.

Best Regards

15 Replies 15

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There has been a similar issue that has been observed.

If you are facing that one it is only in 6.2.1172..2 and due to some threads running on the Agent. The symptom is that user ids are intermittently not recognized and sometimes filtered using the Default policies.

Try opening a case with TAC and they shall provide a special agent image for you that has the fix (if we are talking about the same issue).

I hope it helps.

PK

Hi,

yes I think my problem is the same one you are talking about, i opened a TAC about it but they din't talk yet about a new agent version.

I hope they will.

Anyway, could you help me about following questions:

1.It's better to install the Ageng directly on Active Directory Domain Controllers or it's better to have it installed on a workstation that's part of domain?
2.Which is suggested configuration for time of Agent cache?
3.which is suggested better configuration for timeout parameters in Idagent.ini file?
4.I heard from the Cisco Forum that exist a new version of Agent that fixed this issue. If it actually exists, could you provide it to me?

Best regards
angelo

Please mention and ask TAC for the bug with the Agent in 6.3.1172.2 that slows down pages when using AD.

The answers

1) It should not make a difference. If the Agent is on the AD server you avoid issues with network problems blocking messages between server and Agent though.

2, 3) The default values should be fine

4) Please ask the TAC engineer for that.

PK

BEN ROBINSON
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! Were you able to fix this? We are getting an issue (our AD is a Win2008 64-bit server, BTW) where the mappings will work for about a day, then a group of users; random at best... starts mapping to the default policies and the log shows the user IP browsing out but the user ID is [NOT FOUND].

Did the remote agent special version fix your issue or something else?

Unfortunateky it didn't. I opned a TAC for the issue but it's sitll opened. I was't able yet to solve the issue. Some weeks ago was relased new version of CSC-SSM software which includes a nee agent's version too. I wasn't able yet to try it, if you can, try it and let me know as soon as you can.

bye

angelo

I am running the latest version of code and no fix. Working with TAC now...

ok god luck then, I iope you will be more lucky then me, I will appreciate of you could let me know the result of TAC.

Regards

angelo

FYI still working on this with TAC

You tried 6.3.1172.3 ?

Lists a few bug fixes around this issue.

Yes, I'm just trying the 6.3.1172.3 agent version since 2 weeks and it seems working better. Till now no problem yet. You should need to set Activedirectory parameter in IDagent.ini to 1.

Try and let me know.

regards

angelo

What is that parameter for exactly? I'm on that version and still having issues.

Cisco release notes for 6.3.1172.3 state the following :

Case ID: Trend#2207 Cisco#CSCtf40408
   Issue: Users may not be detected on a PC with multiple IP addresses.
   Affects: 6.3.1172.0-6.3.1172.2
   Change: Allowed the client workstation to be queried directly when the log-parsing approach does not work.

A new config item "ActiveQuery" has been added in the IdAgent.ini file. In previous versions of CSC, the Domain Controller Agent might not find the UserId for the requested IP address using the previous log-parsing approach. Now, if the new "ActiveQuery" config item is set to 1, the Domain Controller Agent will perform a remote registry query to the client workstation directly to query the logon user. The default value of "ActiveQuery" is 0, which behaves the same way as previous versions.

Remember you need to edit the .ini file of the IDAgent and turn the ActiveQuery setting to '1' to enable this.

I was on 6.3.1172.0 and was having big problems with exemption groups and users working one day and then not working the next.

After installing 6.3.1172.3 it looks to have resolved this issue.

However ..

Previously Citrix users were being picked up by their login name, while now they are all coming through as 'Administrator'

Anyone else noticed this ?

This did fix my issue with [NOT FOUND] appearing after a day or so in the CSC in place of the username. Thanks!

bus1nesssa
Level 1
Level 1

Have been having the same issue for a while so I thought I'd write in some bits and bobs I'd found ..

1. I've found that the machine that is running the agent may need to be logged in, or at least logged in after a restart and before you make any changes to the exemption settings.

ie. if the system hosting the agent is restarted then any existing settings will work, however any new settings won't be applied until the machine is at least logged in and you see the agent running in the task tray.

2. If a user has logged into multiple systems the agent / CSC seems to get confuzed and allows one but not the other. Work around (not solution) I've found for this was to either make the exemption on the IP address, and if the machine was on DHCP then reserve an IP for that machine and then exempt it. This may not be the best solution for networks with more workstations then DHCP IP's, but does get you around the issue.

Easiest way of checking whats happening is to ask the user to attempt to get through to a blocked / exempt site and check the logs to see if it picks up their user name. Scanning through the logs shows you how hit and miss it is, with some users from workstations being picked up and others not .. and likewise (and strangely) some Citrix users all logging into the same system get picked up while others do not.

I was going to have a play around with the AD login settings as it I was thinking the issue could be a system is allowing a login through cached credentials and allow synching with AD after a while, but this may mean the CSC SSM isn't able to authenticate the user right away so it takes a couple synching cycles for it to go through.

However this doesn't explain why my Win7 laptop (reserved DHCP address) works fine with only an LDAP username exemption setting, while another Win7 machine also with a reserved DHCP only works with an IP exemption.

(maybe the programming of the Agent isn't that solid and is causing the issue)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card