Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Auto Attendant in Unity using call handler with the same number

Hi all,

I've configured auto attendant using Cisco Unity Connection. I need to create auto attendant for 3 sites. I've configured 3 call handler for each site, with different greeting and different extension number. But for 3 call handler, when outside caller press 0 (zero) button the call should be transferred to the operator. The difficulty is the extension number for each operator is different and i cannot create call handler Operator with the same extension number. For example : operator extension for site A is 6465, operator extension for site B is 7320, operator extension for site C is 8920.

Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You are not required to provide an extension number to Call Handlers.  Further, you can use the Caller Input menu to redirect callers when they press a zero.  It will achieve the same user experience.  It may be easier just to show you.  See attached screen shots to follow.

1. Create a new call handler "SiteA-Operator".  See attached cucaa1.jpg

- note that an extension is not required

2. Click on Edit and go to Transfer rules.  You will see several rules.  Since we are using the "All Hours" schedule, simply select the Standard transfer rule.

3. Edit the Standard transfer rule to tell the SiteA-Operator where it should send calls.  See attached cucaa2.jpg

4. Open the SiteA-Attendant (I am just making up the name for this example).  No need to modify the basic settings.  See attached cucaa3.jpg

5. Click on Edit and go to Caller Input.  See cucaa4.jpg

6. Click on "0" to edit the action mapped to the "0" digit when it is pressed by the caller.  Modify the action to send the caller to the SiteA-Operator call handler and specifically select the "Attempt Transfer" option.  See attached cucaa5.jpg

Now, you have other methods available to you.  This method happens to be my preference because now you can use the SiteA-Operator as the "operator" or zero-out option for various call handlers or directory handlers.  If you have need to change the extension, you do it in one place and you are done.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Message was edited by: William Bell Maybe it will let me add attachments now!

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well, you could create custom call handers for each site:

SiteA-Operator

SiteB-Operator

SiteC-Operator

Configure the Transfer rules for each of these call handlers to send calls to the appropriate extensions. Under Transfer Action set the "Transfer Calls to:" to use the extension and NOT the greeting.

Then configure your AA call handlers time out and "0" out options to send calls to the Transfer rule of the appropriate operator call handler.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Hi William Bell,

Thanks for your response. I'm a newbie in cucm, sorry if i ask too much.

You mean SiteA-Operator, SiteB-Operator, SiteC-Operator call handler are not assigned extension number? Then how can the call handler operator detect the number 0 when outside caller press 0?

Thank you very much.

Neal haas
Level 3
Level 3

Create a hunt group that each operator is in, transfer the call

from the AA to the Hunt Pilot number if you want all 3 operators to answer the

same questions. No one will know the changes that you have made, it will just work.

Hi Neal_haas,

Thank you for your response. But that is not what i mean. When i first configure auto attendant for one site, i use the default call handler Operator with extension number 0. Then when i create other call handler Operator for another site, i cannot assign extension number 0 again because number 0 is already assigned to the default call handler Operator. I need to find a way to resolve this issue.

Have you looked at using the call handler configuration I provided earlier? Basically, I am saying ditch the concept of having an extension of "0" applied to any of the users, phones, call handlers. Instead, use custom operator call handlers which transfer callers to specific extensions. If you really want to use "0" (not recommended) then you could investigate using partitions and search spaces in Unity Connection (depending on your version of CUC). You could have siteA_pt, siteB_pt, siteC_pt and have a different extension "0" in each of these partitions. But that may be some heavy lifting to create new partitions and css's and push them out to call handlers, routing rules, users, etc.

I still recommend using the different operator call handlers. Unless, of course there is something I am missing from your OP.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Hi William Bell,

I'll follow your recommendation, using different operator call handlers. Could you please explain more detail?

Thanks.

You are not required to provide an extension number to Call Handlers.  Further, you can use the Caller Input menu to redirect callers when they press a zero.  It will achieve the same user experience.  It may be easier just to show you.  See attached screen shots to follow.

1. Create a new call handler "SiteA-Operator".  See attached cucaa1.jpg

- note that an extension is not required

2. Click on Edit and go to Transfer rules.  You will see several rules.  Since we are using the "All Hours" schedule, simply select the Standard transfer rule.

3. Edit the Standard transfer rule to tell the SiteA-Operator where it should send calls.  See attached cucaa2.jpg

4. Open the SiteA-Attendant (I am just making up the name for this example).  No need to modify the basic settings.  See attached cucaa3.jpg

5. Click on Edit and go to Caller Input.  See cucaa4.jpg

6. Click on "0" to edit the action mapped to the "0" digit when it is pressed by the caller.  Modify the action to send the caller to the SiteA-Operator call handler and specifically select the "Attempt Transfer" option.  See attached cucaa5.jpg

Now, you have other methods available to you.  This method happens to be my preference because now you can use the SiteA-Operator as the "operator" or zero-out option for various call handlers or directory handlers.  If you have need to change the extension, you do it in one place and you are done.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Message was edited by: William Bell Maybe it will let me add attachments now!

Hi William Bell,

Thank you very much.

William, great helping replies indeed. I just wanted to throw in an idea, he is mentioning 3 different sites, while only one Unity connection server is there to serve whose default greeting, specifically option '0' is what he is trying to manipulate. Won't it help if he creates routing rules based on calling number and direct the call to the operator of that particular site?

I was making an assumption based on the original post that the transfer action to the operator was initiated from the AA call handler and after an IVR treatment was applied (e.g. "hello thanks for calling ... enter extension ... or press 0 for an operator". Also, the OP said the AA call handlers were already created and I assume calls are/were routing to them correctly.

But if the desire was to route directly to the operators and bypass an IVR then I would think that this could be handles on the CUCM side without involving the unity connection system. Even On Net calls could support the use of "0" assuming the proper translation patterns, partitions, and css were stood up.

Regards,

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: