cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Load Balancing/Failover for Voice and Data

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings, i have a customer running a single DMVPN cloud connecting 5 business sites, one of sites is the DMVPN hub and the others are spokes.

The customer has recently asked is we can add link/hardware redundancy for both the hub site and one of the spoke sites which is populated with IP phones that hang off the hub site.

These solutions are detailed in the attached diagrams (Current and Proposed)

My current train of though is to add a second Router and DSL link to each of these sites and create a dual hub, single cloud design however im currently tied over which redundancy protocol to use, HSRP or GLBP to provide failover between routers in the event of hardware failure or link loss.

To make things more complicated voice traffic should only traverse one link to avoid asymmetric routing but be able to failover to the second router in the event of a hardware or link failure.

Can i ask what you guys would recommend, MHSRP w/PBR? GLBP w/PBR?

I should point out that the existing DMVPN works just fine and is running EIGRP.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

1 Reply 1

Mark Rigby
Level 1
Level 1

Right ok, ive been having a look at the SRND, it would seem that a Dual Hub, Dual Cloud topology would give me better control over path selection using the EIGRP metrics.

Only question is how i deal with gateway resiliance for clients on the LAN at both the spoke and hub site whilst allowing for dedicated voice/data paths with failover, would i be correct in assuming that i would need to configure HSRP to make the router with the better EIGRP metric the primary router in the standby configuration?

Then i was thinking of configuring client workstations to point to the first ViP (.3) in the HSRP configuration and the VOIP PBX/IP Phones at the second ViP (.4), however if i have a higher metric on the HSRP router that has control of the second ViP will it try and redirect traffic via the other HSRP router.

Please see the attached diagram.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card