cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wired solution for a large apartment complex

voipis4me
Level 1
Level 1

I'm designing a solution for a large apartment complex that is providing free internet services to their tennants.  The complex is devided into three areas.  Area C, as an example, comprises of seven buildings with 72 units total.  I would like to isolate each unit's internet access with VLANs for security purposes. Each building has a switch with a fiber link back to a 3750G-12S-S.

My first question is, Can I serve 72 DHCP pools from the 3750G or are there limitations?  Basically I don't want a tennant in appartment 101 to be able to see the computers in apartment 102, etc.

Has anyone in this community designed a similar solution and if so, were there any obstacles that you overcame?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

voipis4me wrote:

I'm designing a solution for a large apartment complex that is providing free internet services to their tennants.  The complex is devided into three areas.  Area C, as an example, comprises of seven buildings with 72 units total.  I would like to isolate each unit's internet access with VLANs for security purposes. Each building has a switch with a fiber link back to a 3750G-12S-S.

My first question is, Can I serve 72 DHCP pools from the 3750G or are there limitations?  Basically I don't want a tennant in appartment 101 to be able to see the computers in apartment 102, etc.

Has anyone in this community designed a similar solution and if so, were there any obstacles that you overcame?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The recommended SVI limit on the 3750 is 128 so you should be fine. It's not clear whether you are proposing to actually setup the DHCP pools on the switch but i wouldn't recommend it. Windows DHCP server is much better when you get to these sort of numbers.

Presumably you are going to use acl's to control traffic between vlans ?

Jon

You can also think of isolated Private VLANs to provide the security at Layer 2.  As suggested by Jon, Windows DHCP server make more sense for this type of deployment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: