Replies

How can I release the GSR's memory?

xuzhi_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

Our GSR running BGP protocol, to receive the global routing table,

At present, our high memory utilization in GSR

In order to reduce memory usage, I did a prefix-list policy, only allows the router to receive routing entries less than /24

(ip prefix-list permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 23)

Recently the routing entries reduced, but the memory still has not reduced

I want know why?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amar_5664
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

Recently i had similar issue on my ASR1004. You will need to check memory usage regularly by show processes mem sorted command and see which process is chewing up the memory.

You could see the holding list and keep on checking if router is releasing the memory, if not i would suspect a memory leak. This could be caused due to possible IOS bug, if the process does not require memory it should release it.

My router was running @ 95% for 4 days and one of the process was chewing up 450M of my memory, i had to reboot the router in order to release the memory.

I contacted Cisco TAC and was advised a possible IOS bug would have caused it and had to upgrade the IOS, no certain answer from Cisco on how could i release the memory without reloading the router.

Cheers

AP

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Do you have soft-reconfiguration inbound configured ?

To know the memory consumed by BGP, you can use the following command: show processes memory | begin BGP

It will give you the memory ratio used by BGP.

The following link may help as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

HTH

Laurent.

amar_5664
Level 1
Level 1

Mate,

Recently i had similar issue on my ASR1004. You will need to check memory usage regularly by show processes mem sorted command and see which process is chewing up the memory.

You could see the holding list and keep on checking if router is releasing the memory, if not i would suspect a memory leak. This could be caused due to possible IOS bug, if the process does not require memory it should release it.

My router was running @ 95% for 4 days and one of the process was chewing up 450M of my memory, i had to reboot the router in order to release the memory.

I contacted Cisco TAC and was advised a possible IOS bug would have caused it and had to upgrade the IOS, no certain answer from Cisco on how could i release the memory without reloading the router.

Cheers

AP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card