Views
Helpful
Replies

Ciscoworks LMS 2.6 Device Export Problem

kevin.hu
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have LMS 2.6 and I want to export device to a csv file.  I have done that successfully thru Common Services>Device and Credentials.  However, when I opened the csv file, only 10% of devices show IP addresses.  I tried export 3 more times.  Same result.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kevin,

In CSDiscovery you can select the Common Services to use DNS for the preferred management IP from Common Services --> Device Management ---> Device Discovery --> Discovery Settings .   Under global settings select the preferred management IP to "Resolve by NAME" .

I'm assuming thats what you meant. Also for the DNS names to populate, the devices must either be in DNS or in a host which is located for solaris "/etc/hosts" and for windows its "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts . In this file you have to populate the ip address then map it to its name.

My colleague Joe Clarke wrote up a great article on CSDiscovery which you should read that will explain the whole CSDiscovery process.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

Do you get the same behavior when you export it as an XML file ? Also when export the CSV file,  do you select "ALL Devices" ?

Go to CSCOpx/bin directory and try to export the device using the cli and see if you get the same results.

1.  NMSROOT/bin (NMSROOT is your CiscoWorks installation directory)

2. Enter dcrcli  -u Username cmd=exp fn=filename ft=filetype (dcrcli -u admin cmd=exp fn=C:\devices.csv ft=csv)

Nael,

Thanks for the response.  I did select all devices.  I also tried CLI command, same result.

I called the current LMS admin.  He told me that he maintained a separate host file.  What does that mean?  The exported csv file reference back to the host file?  In LMS, can I import the csv file and then somehow import the host file or reference the host file?

Thanks!

1. Go to the CiscoWorks ---> Common Services ---> Device and Credentials ---> Device Management .

2. Click Export.

3. Choose the "Get Device List from File" .

4. Choose input file selection from the host file your Admin was talking about. The host file has to be in CSV format.

5. In the output file information, define the CSV file.

Nael,

It finally dawned on me what he did.  He imported the csv file.  And then use the host file as DNS to perform name to IP resolution.  Because currently our LMS 2.6 does not have auto device discovery configured, he manually configured these devices.  Do you know where I can configure DNS for name resolution in LMS 3.2?

Thanks for you help.

Hi Kevin,

In CSDiscovery you can select the Common Services to use DNS for the preferred management IP from Common Services --> Device Management ---> Device Discovery --> Discovery Settings .   Under global settings select the preferred management IP to "Resolve by NAME" .

I'm assuming thats what you meant. Also for the DNS names to populate, the devices must either be in DNS or in a host which is located for solaris "/etc/hosts" and for windows its "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts . In this file you have to populate the ip address then map it to its name.

My colleague Joe Clarke wrote up a great article on CSDiscovery which you should read that will explain the whole CSDiscovery process.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9005

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco