WLC SNMP device MAC bug?

Unanswered Question

I am attempting to use an snmp walk to show all the devices/clients connected to multiple WLCs with multiple WAPs (most of the WLCs are model 4400). I'd like to get as much information as possible about each device/client. I've been using the "airspace-wireless-mib" which gives me what I need. I use the OIDs from the bsnMobileStationEntry -    1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1.4.1.

However, I'm seeing a very strange result that I haven't been able to figure out. It appears that the SNMP results only show devices/clients with a MAC address that starts with "00". It seems to ignore any device/client that has a MAC address starting with with any two characters other than "00". All other WLC/WCS tools show the devices just fine. But when I use an snmp tool to show the devices, it doesn't show the non-00 devices.

The OID with the strange behavior is 1.3.6.1.4.1.14179.2.1.4.1.1 is “bsnMobileStationMacAddress”.

It seems that most MAC addresses start with 00, but many new types of devices have MAC addresses that don't start with 00. I've seen many including iPhones and iPads, as well as some new Windows laptops from various manufacturers.

Has anyone else seen this? Would anyone familiar with walking snmp MIBs confirm this for me? Is there a different MIB that I should use?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jdlampard Thu, 04/29/2010 - 06:02

In troubleshooting a different but remotely related problem I found a few people reporting issues surrounding AP MAC addresses that do not begin with 00.  What I saw was not related to SNMP but to APs joining the controller if I recall correctly.  Unfortunately, I don't recall the Internet and cisco.com searches that lead me to the posts nor can I find anything in Bug Toolkit.

Sorry.

-JD

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network