Views
Helpful
Replies

PBR Question

drikilbride
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I need to associate traffic in a particular VLAN to a certain default gateway.

All traffic on VLAN51 which is in the 10.255.0.0 range (getting their IP Address from the domain controller dhcp) needs to go out a default gateway 10.255.251.218

I have associated a port on my switch to vlan51 but when I plug a laptop into it I am getting an IP Address of 169.254.25.167.

I will attach my config and maybe someone can see what I have done wrong.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

ozzyosbu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

You are getting IP address in the 169.254.0.0/16 range because there is no DHCP server in VLAN 51 nor the DHCP requests are forwarded to any other DHCP server.

for the hosts in VLAN 51 to get an IP address via DHCP you need to have

1) a DHCP server in the same VLAN

or

2) have a router in the same VLAN, and an ip helper-adress configured on the routers interface. In addition there should be a DHCP scope defined in the DHCP server that is matching the routers interface IP subnet.

In your case I believe the DHCP server is in VLAN 1, and you are having a scope defined for the 10.255.0.0-10.255.255.255 in it.

And you want the hosts in VLAN 51 also to share the same scope. but if you try to assign an IP address withing this range to your VLAN 51 interface, probably you will get an erro message saying that the subnet already overlaps with VLAN 1. So one option would be to split the 10.255.0.0/16 scope to smaller ones, and then assign say for example 10.255.51.0/24 to VLAN 51, 10.255.1.0/24 to VLAN 1 etc..

Think over it and see what is most suitable for you.. Also did you turn on "ip routing"  on the 3750

droeun141
Level 1
Level 1

To keep everything in context, you probably should have posted this in your original thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3063084#3063084

Pronoy Dasgupta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ozzy is right here. You are getting the 169 addresses as part of APIPA... privately assigned IP addresses, and not getting any from the server.

I would presume that connectivity to the server has been established, right? If yes, you would need to take care of the subnetting part as again pointed out by Ozzy. In the midst of it all, do not forget to turn on "service dhcp" on the switch as well.

Thanks

PD

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco