Views
Helpful
Replies

assign IP to catalyst express 500

alunemanuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

This is probably straight forward but I can't find an answer anywhere.

I'm trying to reconfigure a catalyst express 500 and I don't know what its IP is.

I've tried running through the the factory reset procedure in the handbook but it never works (it fails at the stage where my laptop should pickup and address from DHCP).

So I was wondering if theres any software that can scan a LAN and assign an IP to a catalyst express. Bear in mind I don't know the device's IP or subnet.

Cheers

-Al

5 Replies 5

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do you remember what was the IOS that you were running. With 12.2 EY releases the default IP was 10.0.0.1 and with SEg release  the IP was 169.254.0.1.

Check the procedure below. I am sure that you might had a look at it but just in case...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6545/products_tech_note09186a0080707fb0.shtml

regards,

Thanks for your response.

I tried setting a static IP address on my laptop but cannot ping what I guessed the IP of the switch might be (10.0.0.1 or 169.254.0.1).

I also double checked the procedure - all seems ok until the bit where my laptop should be getting an IP address. I also tried pinging 169.254.0.1 here but no luck.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Alun

Hi Alun,

I am sure you are trying to get the steps done as needed but what heppens when you assign an ip address statically to the pc as 10.0.0.2 and then ping 10.0.0.1.

Also have you pasted in the preferred DNS server's address correctly( just to make sure) as 127.0.0.1.

You would have to do the steps after you have completed the following steps:

Unplug the power cord from the switch.
While you plug the power back in to the switch, press and hold Setup.
Wait until all LED indicator (System, Alert, and PoE) lights turn amber and release Setup.
The system LED blinks green and eventually turns to amber.
When you see that one of the switch port LEDs blinks green, connect your PC directly to that switch port.
The LEDs on the PC and the switch port blink green while the switch configures the connection. This takes about one minute.
Open a web browser. Complete these steps if the browser does not pull up the GUI automatically:
Issue the ipconfig command in order to view the dynamic address allocation.

If still you are not able to get this working can you give me a call as i would like to troubleshoot.

Thanks for your input Rahul.

I am not in that office until tuesday so will try again then and let you know the outcome.

-Al

Just to update I managed to get this working. By looking at the DHCP server I could see the switch had picked

up an address. Once I had the address I was able to run password recovery on the switch and get full access. Thanks.

-A

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card