Where to change SMTP server being used for notifictions?

Unanswered Question
Apr 29th, 2010

I need to change the SMTP server that Cisco is pointing at for e-mail notifications but cannot figure out where this field/page is located at. I am not talking about for an individual user but for the whole system. We are running the following versions.

Cisco Unity Connection version: 1.2(1) SR2

Cisaco Call Manager System version:

Thanks for any guidance, I have been searching for this for a few days but finally decided to post.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
William Bell Thu, 04/29/2010 - 12:56

What notification are you looking to receive?

System alerts? If so, then you will need to download and install the RTMT plugin. There is a notification configuration page (and a way for you to define thresholds) in the plugin. See this link for some related information:

(Of course, now that I think of it I may want to add a few steps on actually adding the e-mail address but I think you can figure it out from the context.)

CDRs? The CAR application (which is available for free but must be enabled by you) has a method for sending CDR reports via e-mail. See this link:

The e-mail address (destination) for CAR reports would be the mail id you assign to a particular user. This is done in the end user config page of CCMAdmin. Just a side bar.

For Unity Connection 1.x, I am not sure. Sorry. Maybe more clarification on what you are looking to have would help.

windmiller Thu, 04/29/2010 - 13:24

The SMTP settings are already in place and working, I just need to change what SMTP server it is pointing to. This is for e-mail notifications that a voicemail is available. The problem is someone else set this up and so I am not very familar with it but figured I could at least handle changing the server being used ......if I can find it.

William Bell Thu, 04/29/2010 - 13:32

So, this is for Unity Connection 2.x. I haven't had the "privilege" of working with this version. But maybe this will help:

The SMTP server you are using (or will use) is defined as a Smart Host on the system.

There is also a SMTP config at the OS level for alerting (events):

windmiller Wed, 05/19/2010 - 13:45

Looks like I cannot access any of the docs you are linking to. I get aForbidden File Or application message. Under additional Access all I have listed is Service Contract Owner which apparently doesnt allow access to much.

Doesnt Unity have built-in SMTP? If so are there any benefits to using it vs. an external one?

William Bell Wed, 05/19/2010 - 14:16

Woops.  Sorry, I pasted the partner links.  Try these:

My apologies.  I usually catch that type of mistake.

Re: Unity as an SMTP solution.  Unity can send SMTP messages for notificaations.  Unity is not an SMTP server or relay server/smart host.

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

windmiller Wed, 05/19/2010 - 14:49

RE:  Unity can send SMTP messages for  notificaations.  Unity is not an SMTP server or relay server/smart host.

Thanks Bill! So for voicemail notifications the Unity server can send these on it's own without an external SMTP? If so I am wondering why we have it sending it on to our external SMTP? Basically we can see in the notification that that Unity is sending it to itself ( and then on to our SMTP server and I want to either change the SMTP it is being sent to or if the external is not needed take it out of the equation all together.

This Discussion

Related Content