cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to use 3750 in none stack configuration

Dean-VA
Level 1
Level 1

We just received a 3750 that was configured as a stack member.  They just powered off the switches and send one to us, and I would like to use it as a stand alone with no stack configuration.  I tried all the commands I know, and it still thinks its part of a stack.  Do I need to use a different IOS?  Is it possible to use 3750 without stacking it?  Any idea how to completely get it to function as a standalone switch?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Isalem,

I understand the configuration which you need but as we think we can see that you are going to use 2 3750 switches and they definately are not going to get connected through a stack cable.

If they are not going to get connected through a stack cable then they will definately not goint to be in the same stack thsu they can work like stack master and that will not effect them.

And as we know that HSRP is Cisco's standard method of providing high  network availability by providing first-hop redundancy for IP hosts on  an IEEE 802 LAN configured with a default gateway IP address. so the 2 switch will work individuallly if they are not stacked.

If you want you can discuss the same with me on 408-916-9070 Ext 3076

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Isalem,

You need to provision it as an stand alone switch:

use this command:

Switch-B(config)#switch 1 provision

If the switch was number 2 in the stack this command will make it one.

HTH

Reza

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To completely remove the configuration, use the no switch stack-member-number provision global configuration command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1182077

Regards

Edison

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Isalem,

The concern which you have is using the 3750 switch in a non stack configuration but it is designed in such a way that it can be used for stacking and give high port density at a lower rate.

It is advertised as Cisco Catalyst 3750-E Series Stackable switches offering multilayer switching and the enhanced Cisco StackWise™ Plus technology for enterprise branch offices and mid-market organizations.

This switch can be used a standalone but still when you will use the show switch command it will show up as stack master*. As the stack wise technology is used as by design we cannot remove it but it is a really great feature.

There are no specific configurations for the stack and even if the members are removed it doesn't really effects the switch.

There are no specific IOS which can remove the stack configuration as they are build to support stack wise plus technology.

A switch stack has up to nine stack members connected through their  StackWise ports. A switch stack always has one stack master.

A standalone switch is a switch stack with one stack member that also  operates as the stack master. You can connect one standalone switch to  another to create a switch stack containing two stack members, with one of them  being the stack master. You can connect standalone switches to an  existing switch stack  to increase the stack membership.

If you replace a stack member with an identical model, the new switch  functions with exactly the same configuration as the replaced switch,  assuming that the new switch is using the same member number as the  replaced switch. For information about the benefits of provisioning a  switch stack, see the http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1178943For information about  replacing a failed switch, see the attached document for the same.

The operation of the switch stack continues uninterrupted during  membership changes unless you remove the stack master or you add  powered-on standalone switches or switch stacks.

I am attaching a document about managing swtich stack for further help.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your replies.  I already tried all the commands mentioned.

Rahul,

I do understand the stack technology, however, in our situation, we will be using 2 3750 as Layer-3/2 with HSRP.  I do not want to stack them.  I am assuming that would be possible?  If so, would each needs to be a master?

I think what confused me no matter what I did is the interfaces are always listed in the x/x/x format.  Would this be the normal behavior even is the switch is not stakced?

Thanks

isalem,

That is normal.  All the numbering for 3750s are that way and the reason for that is because you can stack them so the first number is always the switch number. 1/1/1, 2/1/1,3/1/1, etc...

HTH

Reza

rahurao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Isalem,

I understand the configuration which you need but as we think we can see that you are going to use 2 3750 switches and they definately are not going to get connected through a stack cable.

If they are not going to get connected through a stack cable then they will definately not goint to be in the same stack thsu they can work like stack master and that will not effect them.

And as we know that HSRP is Cisco's standard method of providing high  network availability by providing first-hop redundancy for IP hosts on  an IEEE 802 LAN configured with a default gateway IP address. so the 2 switch will work individuallly if they are not stacked.

If you want you can discuss the same with me on 408-916-9070 Ext 3076

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card