Views
Helpful
Replies

Backplane Speed/Switch fabric Speed

sadiqalijoher
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All Friend

I am new in this Form so kindly any one tell me what is Backplane Speed or Switch Fabric Speed in a Switch.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

depends on what switch you have.

You can get answer to your question if you look at the datasheet for your switch.

google for example "cisco catalyst 3750 datasheet"

Francisco

Dear

i just want to know what is Backplane Speed defination on any switch.

i just want to know what is Backplane Speed defination on any switch.

Hi,

Defination of Backplane bandwidth is the available bandwidth between the device's ports in the switch,internal backplanes or fabric bandwidths provide the bandwidth between ports within the same device, and can provide more or less or even the exact amount of bandwidth between the device's ports.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

I have to apologies, i sometimes respond without reading the request properly.

Backplane bandwidth is a measure of the bandwidth of the internal architecture of the switch. The term is thrown around pretty loosely to refer to anything internal to the switch that doesn't refer directly to the packet forwarding rate of the forwarding engine.

The Backplane speed depends on the type of switch. (See Cisco Datasheet for more info)

The Switch Fabric Module is what creates a dedicated connection between fabric-enabled modules and provides uninterrupted transmission of frames between these modules For example of Catalyst 6500, the switch faric is integrated in to s supervisor 720 engine and the switch fabric provides a direct connection between fabric-enabled modules provided by the Switch Fabric Module, fabric-enabled modules also have a direct connection to the 32-Gbps forwarding bus.

This URL will provide you indepth info about the C6500 switch fabric and you will have better understanding if you invest to time to read it..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/prod_white_paper0900aecd80673385.html

Francisco.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dear All Friend

I am new in this Form so kindly any one tell me what is Backplane Speed or Switch Fabric Speed in a Switch.

Thanks

Hi,

Check out the below link for backplane and switch fabric details for switches and routers.

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/tools/quickreference/index.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A switching fabric is the combination of hardware and software that  moves data coming in to a network node out by the correct port (door) to  the next node in the network. A switching fabric includes the switching  units in a node, the integrated circuits that they contain, and the  programming that allows switching paths to be controlled. The switching  fabric is independent of the bus technology and infrastructure used to  move data between nodes and also separate from the router.

Switch  backplane speed is generally referred to as the aggregate bandwidth  available for switching across the chassis.

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: