cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel 6500 and 4500 supervisors.

Bill19795_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single 6500 with dual sup 720’s. I want to ether channel to a 4500 that has two Sup 6-E 10GE. Can I do an etherchannel across the active and standby supervisor at the same time? So I would connect port 1 in the active on the 6500 to port 1 in the active on the 4500 and configure those as etherchannel. Then configure port 2 on the standby on the 6500 to port 2 in the standby on the 4500 and configure that as etherchannel. Can I configure them all as a 4 port etherchannel or do I have to do two 2 ports and leave one of them in blocking mode?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeah that will be fine. This will work prefrectly for you.

regards,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can certainly do that. All the ports on Cat6500 sup engines will be active however its a different story on

Cat4500 with sup6-E's. You will have either 1 10G port active on each supervisor + 2 GE interfaces or all 4 GE interfaces on both the super-visor engines.

You cannot have 2 10G ports on both the active and standby supervisor engine active at any time.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/50sg/configuration/guide/RPR.html

HTH

You have to configure all the 4 ports like port 1 and port 2 on cat 6500 and port 1 + port 2 on Cat4500 as a prt of a single ether-channel group. It doesnot make sense to have a 1-port ether-channel. You need redundant links to be a part of ether-channel for HA and Load-balancing.

regards

Thanks for the response. I think it would be better then if I took two ports from the active supervisor and did an e etherchannel to two ports on the primary 4500 sup. That would give me a two port redundant link. Then I would configure the two ports on the standby from the 6500 to the two ports on the standby 4500 so if one of the sups fail it will kick over to the other sup. Thanks for the response.

Also can the 4500's not be configured in a SSO configuration like the 6500s?

OK I see my SSO answer in the doc.

In my config I have

!
redundancy
mode sso

but when I do show redundancy it does not show SSO is running.

show redundancy
Redundant System Information :
------------------------------
       Available system uptime = 7 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes
Switchovers system experienced = 0
              Standby failures = 0
        Last switchover reason = none

Hardware Mode = Duplex
    Configured Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover
     Operating Redundancy Mode = RPR
              Maintenance Mode = Disabled
                Communications = Up

Current Processor Information :
-------------------------------
               Active Location = slot 5
        Current Software state = ACTIVE
       Uptime in current state = 7 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes
                 Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-IPBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(44)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 24-Mar-08 22:51 by prod_rel_team
        Configuration register = 0x2101

Peer Processor Information :
----------------------------
              Standby Location = slot 6
        Current Software state = STANDBY COLD
       Uptime in current state = 7 weeks, 4 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes
                 Image Version = Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch Software (cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.2(46)SG, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 27-Jun-08 19:07 by
        Configuration register = 0x2101

Also just so I am sure we can use both Sups on the 6500 at the same time but the 4500 you can only use one at a time correct?

I can have both 10 gig interfaces on the same sup in the 4500 active at the same time correct?

Why couldn't I configure a single etherchannel accross the two supervisors of the 4500 as per this document. This would not give me two etherchannel links but would provide the level of redundancy I am looking for.

For Supervisor 6-E, the uplinks in redundant mode operation have three options. The first option is referred to as 1 + 1 redundancy; in this configuration, two 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplink ports are active at line rate: tengig1/1 on slot 3 and tengig2/1 on slot 4. Figure 8 shows this setup.

Figure 8. Supervisor Engine 6-E

All right I think I have everything from your first post.

10G port1 on 6500 active sup <-------------->  10G port1 on 4500 active Sup

10G port1 on 6500 standby sup <--------------> 10G port 1 on 4500 standby Sup

Above ports configured as etherchannel. All 10G ports are active and sending traffic at all times unlees one of the SUPs fail. Please let me know if this is correct.

Hi Bill,

This should work fine.  Just make sure you do some testing with the 4500 to make sure it behaves just like the 6500.  I know it works on the 6500.

Good Luck

Reza

Hi Reza,

Apologies for replying on your post. I didnot refresh my mozilla and thought no one replied to it... My bad... :-)

regards,

Hi Amit,

No worries, it is all good.

Reza

Yeah that will be fine. This will work prefrectly for you.

regards,

-amit singh

Why do you think my supervisor redundancy looks the way it does in the output above?

Bill,

The reason your supervisors look like that is because you have different IOS versions on the supervisors. In order for SSO to work they must be the same. I would upgrade/downgrade the standby, then reboot. It should come up STANDBY HOT.

HTH,

Mark

Good catch Mark.  Different IOS versions is most likely the source of the problems.

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card