Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 3.1: Cannot convert an evaluation copy to a licensed copy

juliocarossella
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

We installed an evaluation copy of LMS 3.1

Then we got the lic file.

We tried to convert the copy to licensed, by selecting CS > Server > Admin > Licensing > UPDATE

Everything seems right, no error, but the licensing screen remains showing the evaluation mode.

We tryied several times, and had also the server stopped, but nothing changes.

Is there any other way of applying the lic file to this server?

Thanks a lot.

Julio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try these steps:

1. Go to NMSROOT\etc\licenses. NMSROOT is your LMS install patch, by default C:\Program Files\CSCOpx.
2. Backup and then remove all *.lic files from this directory.
3. Restart the LicenseServer from a DOS window on the server:

pdterm LicenseServer

pdexec LicenseServer

4. Place the LMS license file to any directory except NMSROOT\etc\licenses\. Make sure this directory has read permissions for user 'casuser'.

5. Update the license in Common Services --> Server --> Admin --> Licensing. Point it to the license file.
7. Close all browsers.
8. Relaunch CiscoWorks.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try these steps:

1. Go to NMSROOT\etc\licenses. NMSROOT is your LMS install patch, by default C:\Program Files\CSCOpx.
2. Backup and then remove all *.lic files from this directory.
3. Restart the LicenseServer from a DOS window on the server:

pdterm LicenseServer

pdexec LicenseServer

4. Place the LMS license file to any directory except NMSROOT\etc\licenses\. Make sure this directory has read permissions for user 'casuser'.

5. Update the license in Common Services --> Server --> Admin --> Licensing. Point it to the license file.
7. Close all browsers.
8. Relaunch CiscoWorks.

Wow!!!

Beautiful!!!

Thanks a lot!

I had some answers from J Clarke some time ago, and I was greatly impressed about so great service.

Now again, Joel, further my natural lack of language (I speak spanish), I have no words to describe this excellent service.

Cheers

Julio

Happy to hear that Julio, since I do know Spanish here are some words of gratitude. Fue un gusto poder ayudarte y me alegra que este foro sea tan excelente fuente de ayuda para ustedes!

Saludos,

Joel

Hi Joel:

Unfortunately, something new arose!

While navigating LMS UI (RME or DFM)  An error message appears: ERROR: License file is empty . Please contact your Cisco ..... (please see  lms3.1_Error.bmp). And the applications are blocked.

But if we click the link in the Error box mentioned before, this licensing information appears (please see lms3.1_CS_LicenseInfo.bmp):

1.CM5.1UnlimitedPurchasedNever
2.DFM3.1UnlimitedPurchasedNever
3.HUM1.1100EvaluationWed Jul 14 22:13:25 GMT-03:00 2010
4.IPM4.1UnlimitedPurchasedNever
5.RME4.2UnlimitedPurchasedNever

And we are again in the later situation, but with a new purchased license information, instead of Evaluation.

Any idea what is going on, and how to solve it?

Thanks a lot!

Julio

I have seen this issue before normally related to having the HUM eval version and migrating to a new version. Did you restore any backups recently? However, the other applications being blocked (RME-DFM) doesn't add up to me. Was this license file sent to you as an upgrade license?  How did you acquire this license?

Go to CSCOpx\bin on DOS and issue this command:

validatelicense C:\LMS20090520134725086.lic

Change the path and license name to fit your server.  Do you get "LICENSE_SUCCESS"?  If so, please post the license.log and LicenseServer.log from CSCOpx\log along with the actual license file you were given and a pdshow output.

Hi,

I issued the validation command, and I got: CORRUPT_LICENSE_FILE

I was hired to install and configure CW LMS for a client of a client.

When I arrived there they didn´t have the PAK and we couldn´t apply the lic at the installation time, so that I installed it from te DVD they already had, as an evaluation copy. I was told that they had purchased it some time ago, had lost the PAK number, and they had to ask Cisco to re-send the PAK information again.

Later, got it, and they applied the lic file by themselves.

When they reported the problem, I ask them to send me the lic file to try it here, on a test installation running on a Virtual Machine, just to test the configurations and send instructions to them.

I am going to ask them how they received it, and if they tried to edit it (I know that if you open it, you spoil it, isn´t it?).

Ok Joel, muchísimas gracias, te mantendré al tanto de los sucesos.

Saludos cordiales

Julio

Dear Joel:

I made a copy of the lic file placed by CWLMS in CSCOpx\etc\licenses\ , and I had it edit.

Here is it. I see that the apps versions are not correct, according to LMS bundle 3.1 (CM 5.1; RME 4.2; IPM 4.1; DFM 3.1, and so on)

Then, the lic is not correct, isn´t it?

SERVER licenseServer abcd1234

VENDOR cisco

INCREMENT CM cisco 4.0 permanent uncounted \

VENDOR_STRING=LMS26 HOSTID=ANY \

NOTICE="zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz1 \

xxxxxxxxxxx" SIGN=AAAAAAAAAAAA

INCREMENT DFM cisco 2.0 permanent uncounted \

NOTICE="zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz2 \

INCREMENT IPM cisco 2.6 permanent uncounted \

NOTICE="zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz3 \

INCREMENT RME cisco 4.0 permanent uncounted \

NOTICE="zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz4 \

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, seems to be so.  I would suggest you open a TAC case with the licensing team and request a new license to be sent to you since the license appears to be corrupted anyways.  You will basically be asked for the PAK number and they can send you a license pretty quickly.  Then follow the previous steps I posted to apply this new license.

Martin Ermel
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

dd

Ok, thank you. I already scrambled that data.

But anyway, this was an useless corrupt file.

Thanks a lot

Julio

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: