cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question regarding Cayalyst 3560

TMGustavson
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of deisgning and implementing a medium scale network for a client.

There will be one 3560 24p POE switch connected to another 3560 via GBIC.

There is one 2960 48p non-POE switch connected as a relay switch to allow for extra ports, should they be needed.

The goal is to have a few VLANs in place to allow us to run multiple IP ranges.

The office VoIP network on its own VLAN, and place it on the 10.0 network.

The office WiFi on its own VLAN, in the 192.168.0 range, with an additional .168.1 for guest access.

When I look at it, I cant find any reason why it shouldnt work, but I also cant come up with a convincing reason why it should.

I have not touched a switch in three years, so I am at best a bit rusty.

All I am really needing to know is if there is any reason why this wont work, and if not, how can it.

If anyone could assist with this, it would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Miles

Since the original post, I have finished a port map that gives me the what-goes-where, but I am still hoping that the VLAN capabilities of the hardware will allow me to create a minimum of three seperate networks on three seperate IP ranges.

Yes the 3560 will be able to route between 3 vlans, that is what a L3 switch does. Simply put you would

1) create the vlan at L2on the 3560

2) create a L3 vlan interface for each vlan on the 3560

3) enable ip routing

that's it. You can then connect the other switches via L2 trunks.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

TMGustavson wrote:

I am in the process of deisgning and implementing a medium scale network for a client.

There will be one 3560 24p POE switch connected to another 3560 via GBIC.

There is one 2960 48p non-POE switch connected as a relay switch to allow for extra ports, should they be needed.

The goal is to have a few VLANs in place to allow us to run multiple IP ranges.

The office VoIP network on its own VLAN, and place it on the 10.0 network.

The office WiFi on its own VLAN, in the 192.168.0 range, with an additional .168.1 for guest access.

When I look at it, I cant find any reason why it shouldnt work, but I also cant come up with a convincing reason why it should.

I have not touched a switch in three years, so I am at best a bit rusty.

All I am really needing to know is if there is any reason why this wont work, and if not, how can it.

If anyone could assist with this, it would be appreciated.

Miles

Not sure what you mean by a relay switch ie. are you just going to connect the 2960 to both 3560s ?

In answer to your general question yes you can use the 3560 to route between vlans so you can create multiple vlans on the network. It's not clear exactly how you are proposing to connect everything up though.

Perhaps if you could provide more details it would be easier to comment on what you are trying to do.

Jon

I would like to connect the 2960 to both 3560's via GBIC, to allow the 48p switch to handle port overflow from the other 24p switches.

I know about the internal VLAN routing in the switches, but how about routing to a sister VLAN on another switch.

Same IP range, same VLAN ID, but different switch.

The biggest issue right now is running out of space, and having a client who would rather not have to buy more new equipment (no matter how badly they need it).

We will be routing 49 VoIP phones (non-POE, for now), and routing 12 Meru API's (POE).

Each Meru API needs two ports per, so we can broadcast multiple bands, and channels.

The 3560 switches are both POE, but the 2960 is not.  Which is fine, as we are not planning on using the 2960 for POE device overflow.

In my head it looks somthing like this...

One 3650 rack mounted in East end of the building.

- One port for throughput.

- 14 ports for Meru API. (VLAN for 192.168.5. / 192.168.1.)

- 10 ports left for 23 phones. (VLAN for 10.0.1.)

- GBIC to 2960

One 2960 rack mounted below that.

- 13 ports for East phones (VLAN for 10.0.1.)

- 12 ports for West phones (VLAN for 10.0.2.)

- Printers

- GBIC to East 3560

- GBIC to West 3560

(The GBIC on this device is up in the air.  This is an older model, and I have not physically seen it yet.  The client who owns it has not kept any documantation on the device.)

One 3560 rack mounted in the West side of the building.

- 10 ports for Meru API. (VLAN for 192.168.5. / 192.168.1.)

- 14 ports for 26 phones. (VLAN for 10.0.2.)

- GBIC to 2960

Each 3560 will be connected to the Meru AP devices first, to insure that all POE devices get priority.

We aould like to place the Meru devices broadcast a 802.11g @ 192.168.0 for public (guest) access in waiting rooms and such, and also have them broadcast a 802.11n @ 192.168.5 for private employee access.

The private side is to be static IP, and the guest can be DHCP.

The Meru devices can handle this, so it shouldnt be a problem.

The phones will need to be on a 10.0. network, with DHCP, or that is what I am being told. I have had VoIP phones on static IP's before, and would rather do that, and have them on the 10.0 network that way.

I have done Cisco switch and router VLAN configs before, in collage, a number of years back.

So, I am not exactly up to speed, since this is somewhat of a perishable skill.

Like I had said, I am rather sure that this can work, I am just a bit fuzzy on the details.  More fuzzy on actually giving the config commands.

Does this help at all?

Hopefully I managed to translate it well to text.

I think in images, so typing it out doesnt always work well.

having a client who would rather not have to buy more new equipment (no matter how badly they need it).

Funny.  This sounds verrrrrrrrrrrrry familiar.  De ja vu!

Errrr ... The 2960-48 PoE ... it's to service 25 PoE phones?  I hate to pour cold water but the 48-port PoE will only support up to 24 PoE ports.  If you want a 2960 that can support all 48-ports you have to get the newer 2960S.

The 2960 that is included in the network is not a POE supporting model.

We are using two 3560PS-S for that.

One for Data devices only, and the other for Data, and Phones.

The 2960 will be phased out at a later date.  The VoIP phones currently in use do not support POE, but at some point in the future they will be replaced with POE supporting versions.

Since the original post, I have finished a port map that gives me the what-goes-where, but I am still hoping that the VLAN capabilities of the hardware will allow me to create a minimum of three seperate networks on three seperate IP ranges.

Phones will be on a 10.0.xxx, and must use DHCP.

Computers and mobile devices will be on a 192.168.0.xxx, and must be static.

I would like to have the guest network provide DHCP, and since it is to be limited to the interior of the office, I was thinking of maybe using either a 192.168.?.xxx, or 172.16.xxx.

Since I have not had a chance to flex my Cisco in quite a few years, I am wondering if anyone can find reason why this will not work.

I really can not think of a reason why a 3560 can not handle this kind of config.

If any of you carzy Cisco Gurus out there can assist me on this, I would be greatful.

Miles

Yes the 3560 will be able to route between 3 vlans, that is what a L3 switch does. Simply put you would

1) create the vlan at L2on the 3560

2) create a L3 vlan interface for each vlan on the 3560

3) enable ip routing

that's it. You can then connect the other switches via L2 trunks.

Jon

Thank you sir.

I had a feeling, but solid proof is prefferable.

Like I had said, I could not think of any good reason why it wouldnt work, just couldnt find the best way to make it work.

Funny thing the brain, keeps things I dont think I'll ever need, but seems to clear the cache of things I should know, or have learned.

I do appreacate the assistance.

Now if it would only work on the first try.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: