STP Looping issue

Answered Question
Apr 30th, 2010

Hi

I am troubleshooting a STP looping issue with a iSCSI SAN environment, many servers in the

server farm share the SAN through both SAN side switches (see the diagram attached), I am a cisco guy and these SAN side switches are Procurve, but all flat lan.

Customer think 192.168.130.0/24 and 192.168.131.0/24 lan segments are will not talk to each other.

I think the link between the switches are the issue, but they need that for redundancy isn't it. How can I prevent looping and keep the interswitch link.

or any other solution.

Correct Answer by Reza Sharifi about 6 years 9 months ago

Hi,

You only have one connection between the 2 switches and that should not cause any loop.  Is there a way you can create a vlan on both HP switches and put all the ports in it and see if the problem goes away?

Sorry, not familiar with HP switches.

HTH

Reza

Overall Rating: 4 (2 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Fri, 04/30/2010 - 19:44

Hi,

Can you explain what the issue is?

What type of Cisco switches you are using and which once are they in your diagram.

Reza

asoka@people.net.au Fri, 04/30/2010 - 20:15

Hi, Thanks for reply

These are HP Procurve switchws, but I am a Cisco guy, both switches in the midle are in question, they are FLAT lan no VLANS. Time to time ports are blocked by STP, and then unblock again. I am wondering the link between two switches are the issue, but I was told they need that for redundancy.

How to get out of the STP blocking issue, Or is there any better design,

MOre or less if I remove the interswitch link problem solved I beleive, but I loose the redundancy isnt it.

Regards

Correct Answer
Reza Sharifi Fri, 04/30/2010 - 20:41

Hi,

You only have one connection between the 2 switches and that should not cause any loop.  Is there a way you can create a vlan on both HP switches and put all the ports in it and see if the problem goes away?

Sorry, not familiar with HP switches.

HTH

Reza

asoka@people.net.au Fri, 04/30/2010 - 20:48

Thanks Reza, for your help,

This is a general switching question, is it possible to create a loop because server have 2 ports conencted to two switches and two switches are conencted each other ann flat LAN,

Though two IP addresses in 192.168.130.0 and 192.168.131.0 network subnets

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content