Views
Helpful
Replies

STP Looping issue

asoka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am troubleshooting a STP looping issue with a iSCSI SAN environment, many servers in the

server farm share the SAN through both SAN side switches (see the diagram attached), I am a cisco guy and these SAN side switches are Procurve, but all flat lan.

Customer think 192.168.130.0/24 and 192.168.131.0/24 lan segments are will not talk to each other.

I think the link between the switches are the issue, but they need that for redundancy isn't it. How can I prevent looping and keep the interswitch link.

or any other solution.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You only have one connection between the 2 switches and that should not cause any loop.  Is there a way you can create a vlan on both HP switches and put all the ports in it and see if the problem goes away?

Sorry, not familiar with HP switches.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Can you explain what the issue is?

What type of Cisco switches you are using and which once are they in your diagram.

Reza

Hi, Thanks for reply

These are HP Procurve switchws, but I am a Cisco guy, both switches in the midle are in question, they are FLAT lan no VLANS. Time to time ports are blocked by STP, and then unblock again. I am wondering the link between two switches are the issue, but I was told they need that for redundancy.

How to get out of the STP blocking issue, Or is there any better design,

MOre or less if I remove the interswitch link problem solved I beleive, but I loose the redundancy isnt it.

Regards

Hi,

You only have one connection between the 2 switches and that should not cause any loop.  Is there a way you can create a vlan on both HP switches and put all the ports in it and see if the problem goes away?

Sorry, not familiar with HP switches.

HTH

Reza

Thanks Reza, for your help,

This is a general switching question, is it possible to create a loop because server have 2 ports conencted to two switches and two switches are conencted each other ann flat LAN,

Though two IP addresses in 192.168.130.0 and 192.168.131.0 network subnets

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card