cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't move host to new switch

dolson1157
Level 1
Level 1

I recently installed a 3560 switch in a network with 2 existing 2960 switches so we could route between VLANs. The VLAN routing appears to be working fine but when I attempt to move from the 2960 to the 3560 all of them move successfully except the AD/DNS host. The link status is slow in comming up but does eventually come up but the host cannot ping any of the other hosts on the switch. When I move it back to the original 2960 (any port in the VLAN) the link comes up almost immediately and the ip connectivity is normal. Also, when I try and move the host in question to the other 2960 I get the same problem. All other servers move over without issue. It's as if the NIC for that host is somehow bound to the original switch.

The original port and the new port are members of the same VLAN.  The switches are connected via trunk ports (A->B, A->C, B->C) and each has VTP status as server. All hosts have only 1 NIC connected and other than the trunk ports there are no other connections between switches.

Can anyone suggest why this might be occurring?

Thanks,

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

dolson1157 wrote:

I recently installed a 3560 switch in a network with 2 existing 2960 switches so we could route between VLANs. The VLAN routing appears to be working fine but when I attempt to move from the 2960 to the 3560 all of them move successfully except the AD/DNS host. The link status is slow in comming up but does eventually come up but the host cannot ping any of the other hosts on the switch. When I move it back to the original 2960 (any port in the VLAN) the link comes up almost immediately and the ip connectivity is normal. Also, when I try and move the host in question to the other 2960 I get the same problem. All other servers move over without issue. It's as if the NIC for that host is somehow bound to the original switch.

The original port and the new port are members of the same VLAN.  The switches are connected via trunk ports (A->B, A->C, B->C) and each has VTP status as server. All hosts have only 1 NIC connected and other than the trunk ports there are no other connections between switches.

Can anyone suggest why this might be occurring?

Thanks,

Couple of things -

1) Have you enabled portfast on the new switch port for the AD server ?

2) can you clear the  mac-address table when you move the server to the new switch

3) can you post the config for the port on the 2960 and the port on the 3560 that the AD server is connected to ie. from the 2960 that works properly and the 3560.

Jon

Portfast and Bpduguard are enabled on both ports.

I did clear the mac-address-table on the 3560. At least I issued the 3 variations of the command that I found.

Attached is port information.

So the server is moving to the same vlan ie. vlan 2.

Are you saying the server cannot ping hosts in the same vlan and other vlans ?

Are there any logs on the 3560 switch when you connect up the server ?

Out of interest why are you moving the server ?

Jon

The server cannot ping any other hosts.

The only items I see in the logs are changing state from down to up and vice versa when I plug into and unplug from the interface.

22:33:17: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/4, changed state to up
22:33:19: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/4, changed state to up
22:33:31: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/4, changed state to down
22:33:32: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/4, changed state to down

Originally my intent was to consolidate the servers on the 3560 and dedicate the 2960 to a seperate VLAN.

Can you try hardcoding the speed and duplex on the server and on the 3560 port to see if that helps.

When you try to ping a host from the server when connected to a 3560 switch what do you see in

a) the server mac / arp table

b) the switch cam table

Jon

The hardcoding didn't help.

Attached is the arp and mac-address-table dynamic - I'm not sure if they are the same thing as you asked about. I don't know specifically how to show the cma table. Please excuse my ignorance.

The hardcoding didn't help.

Attached is the arp and mac-address-table dynamic - I'm not sure if they are the same thing as you asked about. I don't know specifically how to show the cma table. Please excuse my ignorance.

Hi,

Command to see the cam table is show cam-table in switch,are you able to ping the server from switch is arp learning in the switch.what is the output of the interface of the switch which is connected to server port.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

The switch does not recognize that command.

I cannot ping the server from the switch when I attache to the switch. When it is attached to the 2960 - no problem!

The ARP table on the 3560 when I attach the server to it shows the correct ip associated with the MAC address. The mac-address-table knows which port the MAC address of the server is on and changes dynamically if I move it to a different port.

I'm not sure what you mean by "output of the interface"

Thanks,

The switch does not recognize that command.

I cannot ping the server from the switch when I attache to the switch. When it is attached to the 2960 - no problem!

The ARP table on the 3560 when I attach the server to it shows the correct ip associated with the MAC address. The mac-address-table knows which port the MAC address of the server is on and changes dynamically if I move it to a different port.

I'm not sure what you mean by "output of the interface"

Thanks

Are you sure the server connected with 3560 switch port is having the correct vlan mapping.

Ganesh.H

It is part of VLAN 2 which is the correct VLAN

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco