Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on WLC

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have simple queries on WLC here the queries...

1) Once AP integrated with WLC can I telnet direclty to AP ?

2) I have AP at remote office and its intgrated with WLC(head offcie), Now the requirement is remote person resposible for remote location AP only and should not see any other AP while he z trying login into AP..  How can we achive this?

Regards

Kumar

8 Replies 8

Surendra BG
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kumar,

Below answers may help you..

1) Once AP integrated with WLC can I telnet direclty to AP ?

ANS -

YES, it is possible..

From the WLC CLI issue the command..

CONFIG AP TELNET ENABLE

SAVE the config.

2) I have AP at remote office and its intgrated with WLC(head offcie), Now the requirement is remote person resposible for remote location AP only and should not see any other AP while he z trying login into AP..  How can we achive this?

ANS -

This looks like a H-REAP or the REAP setup rite?

Yes This is also possibel.. We have to disable the CDP on the AP so that neither it will detact the neibouring Cisco devices not any one can see other devices..

The command from the WLC CLI is .

CONFIG AP CDP DISABLE

I hope the above answered your question..

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Thanks for your reply.. I have enabled telnet on remote AP its working fine, now I need to integrate the same with TACACS server(ACS) as i need to provide read only access to that AP for remote support or Do we have any option  that with out integrating AP with TACACS, only restict access(read only) in AP level

Regards

Kumar

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response..

By default the LWAPP AP which is registered to the WLC is READ-ONLY, Unless someone consoles into the AP knowing the credentials, but still its the read-only.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for come back on the same...

1) If i need to give full access to location AP(remote AP) for local supportthru telnet and as per your previous ans you said, once i integrate AP with WLC...will get read only acccess ryt....How can we achive this?

Regards

Kumar

Hi,

No problem at all..

If the AP is registered to the WLC, then its read only.. We cannot configure anything on the AP, instead if the remote location support team can access the WLC rite, then they can make some changes.. and also if you enable telnet to the remote AP, then we can run few debug commands to verify the status and troubleshoot and if we hav the console access this will do the same. But based on my experience, we cannot configure the AP through telneting into it when its registered to the WLC, coz we will be having fewer access, like no "config t" just few sh commnads and debugs and everything should be done from the controller.

Regards

Surendra

Regards
Surendra BG

hi,

did that answer your question???

Regards
Surendra BG

Surendra,

summarising all the post and ur replies, once the AP is joined to WLC, management is disabled. Telnet and SSH are enabled but with limited functionality and debug commands only. Disable CDP is you dont want any AP finding anyother APs??

Another question, regarding Aggressive Load Balancing.

Once I set the load balancing in WLC (lets suppose, enable aggressive load balancing, client window size 20, denial threshold count 3), will this setting automatically go global as soon as I apply? Saying that will this load balancing appear for all the APs connected to that WLC? If I go a individual AP, can I change the client window size to 15 or 30, denial threshold count 5? or can I disable "Aggressive load balancing" in WLC but in an individual AP, set the maximum client association number ??Will any of this work??

I have 4402WLC and around 40 APs. there are 3 APs functional n standalone . Will this cause any issues? I have some heat zones where there are huge numbers of clients. But the clients dont seem to be connecting to anyone except the very closest one. Say, Room1 and Room2 with AP1 and AP2 respectively. Room 1 has 50 clients and room 2, none. ALL 50 are connecting to AP1. How can I make the clients to go to AP2 or AP3 without Aggressive Load Balancing?

Also, Aggressive Load Balancing doesnt seem to be effective against clients that ignore Reason Code17, are there any options??

Thank you in advance.

Telnet and SSH are enabled but with limited functionality and debug commands only.

With telnet and SSH enabled on the LWAP you CANNOT save your config on the LWAP.  Remember, the LWAP is akin to an "antennae" only.  You can run debug FROM the WLC using the command "debug ap enable " and "debug ap command ".

Example:

debug ap enable AP_name (enables AP debug commands)
debug ap command dir AP_name (gives you the "dir" output on the AP from the WLC) or
debug ap command "sh version | i IOS" AP_name (gives you the output of the "sh version" command and filters the line containing "IOS")

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card