Views
Helpful
Replies

L2TPv3 as backup connection

Marko Krenker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Is a L2TPv3 through WAN right way to setup redundant connecion between 2 locations of datacenter ?

Primary connecion is ethernet vlan trunk. All vlans are present on both locations.

Regards, Marko

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

marko_krenker wrote:

Hi guys,

Is a L2TPv3 through WAN right way to setup redundant connecion between 2 locations of datacenter ?

Primary connecion is ethernet vlan trunk. All vlans are present on both locations.

Regards, Marko

Marko

What is the secondary connection ? L2TPv3 is used when you need to extend a L2 vlan over a L3 routed network but your primary link is an ethernet trunk anyway.

Jon

Hi Jon,

There is no secondary connecion at the moment, but i need a backup connection if primary fails.

I am planing to establish it with L2TPv3 through routed WAN, because both locations have internet conectivity with 7200s, but i'm not sure if this will work properly.

Can you advise ?

Thanks, Marko

marko_krenker wrote:

Hi Jon,

There is no secondary connecion at the moment, but i need a backup connection if primary fails.

I am planing to establish it with L2TPv3 through routed WAN, because both locations have internet conectivity with 7200s, but i'm not sure if this will work properly.

Can you advise ?

Thanks, Marko

Marko

It can be done with L2TPv3 although not sure why you have a routed WAN and a L2 trunk between the same sites ?

Jon

Hello Marko,

to make the L2TPv3 pseudowire the backup link you need to manipulate STP parameters on LAN switches that connect to the WAN routers, so that the link becomes STP blocked on one side for all vlans of interest.

for example you can increase STP cost with

spanning-tree cost 3000

in interface configuration mode on LAN switches

Be aware that the amount of L2 traffic can be too much for your routers so you should use it only for specific vlans, the few Vlans that you are extending between the two data centers

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello giuslar !

Thank you for fast response.

Yes, I know that there can be too much of L2 traffic, and this concerns me most, because routers are not dedicated to this tunnel.

I'll just have to make some tests.

What about packet fragmentation ? Should I set the MTU ?

Regard, Marko

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco