cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Phone 7960 - Primary Line

dolah
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently troubleshooting a 7960 that will not let the user pick up the handset when the phone rings and have the ringing line be answered.  She has to press the line button in order to pick up the line.

This is not how other 7960 phones work.  I've tried to figure out what is different by doing a stare and compare on her phone, line and user name, but this has not had any affect.

Does anyone know where I need to look to resolve this issue?

Thank you,

Debbie Olah

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Could it be a hardware problem with the cradle button?  If the cradle button is not indicating that the handset is in the cradle, then lifting the handset off the cradle will do nothing.  Can the user get dialtone by lifting the handset?  Have you tried swapping the phone hardware with a spare?

Also, this might be related to the handset hook issue.  The reversible nib that is used to hold the handset in place when mounted vertically; It the nib is out when the phone is positioned at an angle, the nib can prevent the handset from engaging the cradle button, so the phone does not sense the handset in the cradle.  If the nib is out, you could try turning it around.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Could it be a hardware problem with the cradle button?  If the cradle button is not indicating that the handset is in the cradle, then lifting the handset off the cradle will do nothing.  Can the user get dialtone by lifting the handset?  Have you tried swapping the phone hardware with a spare?

Also, this might be related to the handset hook issue.  The reversible nib that is used to hold the handset in place when mounted vertically; It the nib is out when the phone is positioned at an angle, the nib can prevent the handset from engaging the cradle button, so the phone does not sense the handset in the cradle.  If the nib is out, you could try turning it around.

Thank you.  This was the answer. The user was not hanging up her phone correctly and it was catching on the nib.  When I walked over to her and turned the nib upside down, it worked just fine... so chalk this one up to "User Error".

I never even thought of this, since she has worked her for as long as we've had these phone (7 years).... live and learn.

Thank you again,

Debbie Olah

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Debbie;

Just to add a note to the good tips from ccharlebois (+5 "C")

This is most likely a problem with the Hookswitch. After deploying Cisco IP Phones for the last few years, we (and many others) have found this to be the most common hardware problem.

There is a "Best Practice" for cleaning the Hookswitch contacts (link below) that does work.

Best Practices for Cleaning and Troubleshooting Cisco IP Phone Hookswitch

From this Tech note;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

Cheers!
Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727