cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN using Cisco Catalyst 3750

maria.melendez
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a rockie with networking stuff and this question might be ' not so smart'. I'm trying to figure it out what I need to provide VPN in a Catalyst Cisco 3750.  We need to replaced a  Cisco RV082 8-port 10/100 VPN Router and need to provide the VPN capability to our subscribers. I'll appreciate any information. thanks!

5 Replies 5

Hi,

The Catalyst 3750 is a Layer 3 switch and is not suitable for VPN termination.

You might want to terminate the VPN in a Firewall (ASA or PIX), or an IOS router.

Do you have the option to terminate the VPN in a router or firewall?

How many VPN connections will be and what kind of VPN (IPsec, SSL, etc)?

Federico.

Which router will provide the VPN termination ?

This is the complete scenario: 2 Siemens switches connected via fiber and one of them is also connected to the Linksys Router, that is connected via T1 line to the internet. At the beginning the idea was to replaced all the devices with Cisco but now they are looking into replace the 2 siemens switches with the Cisco Catalyst 3750's and keep the Linksys Router at this point but replace it later with another router that will provide the VPN capability.

I'll appreciate any thoughts about this ...Thanks!

Maria,

Almost any router (with the correct IOS) will provide VPN termination capabilities.

The exact model depends on some requisites for example the amount of VPN tunnels that need to be enabled at the same time.

The 800s, 1800s, 2800s and 3800s and also the new ISRs-2 provide that capability.

Also the ASAs are Cisco preferred choice for VPN termination.

What are your requirements?

Federico.

They have 9 VPN users and use IPSEC.

Maria,

If only 9 VPN IPsec tunnels are going to be used, you can look at the 851:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/ps6195/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

Please take into account this is a low-end router that has limited capabilities.

Make sure what other requirements do you need before going for a specific device.

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: