cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CME on fishing vessel needs call routing based on GPS location

Brian Carlson
Level 4
Level 4

My customer is a fishing vessell that wants to use different satellite providers based on it's GPS location.  For example, when it's in the northern hemisphere it wants to use provider X, because it's the cheapest option, and in the southern hemisphere they want to user provider Y.

Is there a way to do this with CME?  They want everything to work automatically.  PSTN access is through FXO ports connected to the satellite telecommunications equipment.

This is a CME solution, primarily because an MCS server likely wouldn't survive long in a fishing boat.  Does anyone have any ideas how to accomplish this?

3 Replies 3

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

I think it would help if you can provide a bit more information on how the satellite systems are connected.

Do you have groups of FXO ports dedicated to each Sat provider?

If so you would have different dial peers pointing to each sat provider. What you need is some way of getting the GPS system to trigger a TCL script that would enable/disable the dial peers according to location.

TCL is a scripting language supported in IOS. There are lots of blogs etc. describing how to use it - a good place to start is at the link below.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/archived-articles/374-tcling-your-cisco-router.html

If you are not familiar with TCL then Paolo, who often posts on here, could probably put something together for you.

The key thing will be getting the info from the GPS to trigger something on CME. Does it have an IP interface?

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your access is FXO, how do you select the provider to use ?

ameliabelli11
Level 1
Level 1

I have this query too, and can you provide the detailed solution of this query. And also please tell me how do you select the provider to use if you have FXO access. The same query asked by paolo. Also you can read the above mentioned blog article which is related to TCL and how you can use it. I found it very helpful and almost all basic details covered here in this blog.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: