cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bulk edit - Subscribe Services

snooter
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to do a bulk edit for subscribing and unsubcribing services?  Can't seem to find it if so..

Using version 6.1.3

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, you can do this via BAT. I believe this is available thru the update phones menu. You'll want to test on a few phones first as there have been in quirks in 6.1(3) that I've seen in large deployments where updating service subscriptions can occasionally result in the same service being applied to a phone multiple times (and randomly - once on 1 phone, 3 on another, etc). But it can be done, easily.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes, you can do this via BAT. I believe this is available thru the update phones menu. You'll want to test on a few phones first as there have been in quirks in 6.1(3) that I've seen in large deployments where updating service subscriptions can occasionally result in the same service being applied to a phone multiple times (and randomly - once on 1 phone, 3 on another, etc). But it can be done, easily.

Hailey

I was signed in with an account that didn't have the elevated permissions.  duh - I found it now.  Pretty simple to add a new serivce, but doesn't seem to be simple removing an old service though.

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Certainly. This is done with Bulk Administration Tool (BAT).

Step 1. Add a new phone template with configured services. (Bulk Administration>Phones>Phone Template)

Step 2. Use the Update Phone option (Bulk Administration>Phones>Update Phones). After you specify the query, scroll down to "Assign IP Phone Services". You assign the phone services based on an existing template (like the one created in Step 1 or one you already had in play)

You can configure the service parameters clicking on the link "Edit IP Phone Services". You will want to make sure you use the option "Remove Duplicate" if you have phones already subscribed to a service. If you don't remove the duplicates you will have, well, duplicates.

Here is a good link for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/bat/6_1_1/t03updph.html

And this (same book):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/bat/6_1_1/t03phtmp.html#wp1188941

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Yes, you will definitely need to remove duplicates when you assign services - this will usually (not always) take care of having multiple subscriptions of the same service.

Hailey

I had to change the name of a service we have.  The old name is still registered on the phones and the bulk edit doesn't seem to want to get rid of it.  I edited the phone template and unsuscribed from all services.  Hoped that would remove everyting so I could just start over and assign this one new service.  No go though.

The template only applies to phones added as new. Modifying the template doesn't change any existing phones. You would have to actually re-BAT all your phones, select the modified template, and then use the overwrite existing configuration option to make that work. Unnecessary based on what you need to do. Did you get the services cleaned up though?

Hailey

Yeah.. all cleaned up.  I'll just have to visit 130 phones to remove the old service..

Thanks all

What service is it?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 3, 2010, at 2:22 PM, snooter

Understood.  First, check the database to see what phones have what associations:

From the CLI:

admin:run sql select d.name as devicename, tss.ServiceName from device as d inner join telecastersubscribedservice as tss on tss.fkdevice=d.pkid

Have you tried to delete the service as configured in Device>Device Settings?  Meaning, delete the service to remove the service and associations.  Then add the correct service (if you haven't already). Then bulk update to add the appropriate service.

If that isn't working for you.  Then you may need to look at using the Axl SQL Toolkit.  See this URL for background info:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/running-sql-queries-on-cucm-6x7x-using-axl-soap-toolkit-part-1.html

This is part of a series.  I don't have a phone services example on line but one approach would be to run a query like this one:

"select d.name as devicename, tss.ServiceName, tss.pkid from device as d inner join telecastersubscribedservice as tss on tss.fkdevice=d.pkid"

This will give you the devicename and service name.  These two fields are just to make the next step easier on you.  The tss.pkid is the field you are really interested in.  If you want, you could also add d.description to the select clause so that you have a more user friendly description.

The next step would be to take all of that output and identify the rows/records you want to manipulate.  Pull those out into a separate file.  Use excel/notepad or your own script/tool, whatever works.

What you want is to delete the pkid in the subscribed services table.  So, you will create a SQL delete/update file (see the series quoted above. Part 2 and Part 3 for an example).  The update file will have delete statements like:

delete from telecastersubscribedservice where pkid='(insertpkidhere)'

Each entry would be one unique service subscription.

You would want to test this out and you will want to be somewhat familiar with scripting/app dev.

It is hairy for sure.  But if you got get dirty then this is the way to go.  I suspect (hope) that you would be able to remove the IP phone service (and thereby remove subscriptions) and then re-add the subscription you need.

I am going off of the top of my head here (with a quick test of the delete/queries in my lab) so you want to test.  This is a disclaimer

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

This just saved me about 3 hours of work.

Bill - you are the man!

Marty

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: