Views
Helpful
Replies

multicasting on the same vlan

marcin.piesio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

It might be quite simple question but browsing forums i cannon find right answer.

I do have couple of 3560 connected to 3750 which serves as a core to my network. I have 4 video multicasting servers connected to 3560.

Everything is on the one VLAN. How do i setup multicasting on this sort of the network ? Is enabling IGMP on all the switches will be enough ?

thanks for looking into this.

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

marcin.piesio wrote:

Hi there,

It might be quite simple question but browsing forums i cannon find right answer.

I do have couple of 3560 connected to 3750 which serves as a core to my network. I have 4 video multicasting servers connected to 3560.

Everything is on the one VLAN. How do i setup multicasting on this sort of the network ? Is enabling IGMP on all the switches will be enough ?

thanks for looking into this.

IGMP snooping will be enabled by default so you don't need to enable it. However you do need something to make the IGMP queries. Normally this is done by enabling PIM on a L3 vlan interface but if you are multicasting within the same vlan you can enable the IGMP snooping querier function instead -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swigmp.html#wp1193337

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card