cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load-balancing method on 3750 switches?

pweinhold
Level 1
Level 1

I've configured a Catalyst 3750 switch with equal-cost paths, learned via OSPF, to a remote destination.  I know that by default, OSPF will load-balance over the two paths, and I've confirmed this with the following output:

RR-A#sh ip route 192.168.250.1

Routing entry for 192.168.250.1/32

Known via "ospf 100", distance 110, metric 102, type intra area

Last update from 172.16.10.6 on Tunnel2, 00:21:44 ago

Routing Descriptor Blocks:

* 172.16.10.6, from 192.168.250.1, 00:21:44 ago, via Tunnel2

Route metric is 102, traffic share count is 1

172.16.10.2, from 192.168.250.1, 00:21:44 ago, via Tunnel1

Route metric is 102, traffic share count is 1

My question is, how do I know if the switch is load-balancing using per-packet or per-destination?  From what I've read, it sounds like per-destination is the default, but I'm wondering if there's some command that will confirm that for me.

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's doing per-destination load-balancing because the 3750 does not support per-packet load-balancing - see the unsupported interface commands in this link ie. the "ip load-sharing per-packet" command is not supported -

3750 interface unsupported commands

Jon

Very well, that's all I wanted to know.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Hello Pweinhold,

be aware that using GRE tunnels on a C3750 is acceptable in a lab, but not in a production environment: packets routed over GRE tunnels are processed in software.

The end result could even be similar to per packet destination for the fact of using GRE tunnels (process switching), it would be flow based destination if using other types of L3 interfaces like SVI or routed ports.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yes, this is just a lab environment, just to test out a proof-of-concept, but thanks for the heads-up.

pughaz1330
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The below command shows that the "  Per packet load-sharing is disabled " so per session is working by default and if you enable per packet load sharing in the interface level  then you can able to see the flow on the sh ip cef command ; try the same !!!!

Router#sh cef interface
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

ICMP redirects are never sent

Per packet load-sharing is disabled

IP unicast RPF check is disabled

Inbound access list is not set

Outbound access list is not set

Hardware idb is GigabitEthernet0/0

Fast switching type 1, interface type 27

IP CEF switching enabled

IP CEF Feature Fast switching turbo vector

Input fast flags 0x400040, Input fast flags2 0x0, Output fast flags 0x10100, Output fast flags2 0x0

ifindex 1(1)

Slot 0 Slot unit 0 Unit 0 VC -1

Transmit limit accumulator 0x0 (0x0)

IP MTU 1500

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: