Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 7 Licensing Question

Hi all,

We recently upgraded Unity 4 to Unity 7 in a-la-carte licensing. As far as my understanding goes the user licensing model in Unity 7 is that all subscribers are UM subscribers and there are no more VM subscribers any longer.

Below is a Unity Licensing snapshot from the system. If Unity 7 subscribers are all UM subscribers then why is the license screen still shows 1950 Cisco Unity Subscribers and 260 Cisco Unity Subscriber Feature - Unified Messaging?

Shouldn't the licensed UM subscribers showed as 1950?

I have logged a TAC case but we end up going around in circle as the case was passed back and forth between TAC and the Licensing team.

Has anyone implemented upgrade from Unity 4 or 5 to Unity 7 experience this issue?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kind regards

Daniel

Unity Licensing Before New License Files.PNG

5 Replies 5

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have gone from 4x to 7x or 4x to 5x several times. You are correct. There is no longer any difference between VM or UM subscribers. Personally, I have had the customer order the appropriate upgrades and then simply stated in my email to licensing that the customer is migrating to Unified Messaging so to issue the proper license (and noted a knowledge of the change in licensing model). I had no issues with that. However, I have heard a number of customers complain that they do not get the same service or have the same ease when working with licensing. In fact, I have been not so happy with my experience with licensing after a migration from Unity to Unity Connection for a CUWL customer. It took over a week to get the proper licensing. I would suggest you send an email to licensing@cisco.com with the PAK keys for the upgrades you order and explain your knowledge of the situation and that you are migrating from VM to UM. If that doesn't work for you, I'd get your Cisco Account Manager involved. Good luck friend.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Hi David,

From your previous experience, what should be displayed in the Unity 7 licensing count?

Should it show that the Unity box is licensed for  1950 UM subscribers?

Thanks

Daniel

I believe the counts are all UM or equal between VM and UM - but the total Subscriber count would take precedence from a system perspective in that case. If you'd like, I can check a couple production license files remotely tomorrow and confirm with a definite answer for you.

Hailey

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much. Look forward to hear your answer.

Daniel

Daniel,

Upgrade license from 4x to 5x shows a "false count" of UM Subscribers and VM Subscribers. Both equal 15000 in the license file; however, my notes in the TAC case when I requested licensing stated that this is normal. The system will actually not exceed the total number of Cisco Unity Subscribers which should equal the total number of licenses you actually own. In 7x license files, I believe that everything is reported as UM Subscribers (i.e., no VM Subscribers). But, in either case - upgrade from 4x entitles you to UM as long as your UCSS/ESW is current.

Hailey

HTH - please rate helpful posts!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: