Views
Helpful
Replies

Deny IP spoof from (127.0.0.1)

sysadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings!

I have recently began to receive these errors on my ASA 5510. I've done a debug when it occurs but haven't noticed an unusual traffic coming from the internal or external network.

here's the error:

2|May 03 2010|12:04:08|106016|||||Deny IP spoof from (127.0.0.1) to OUR_EXT_IP on interface outside

based on the message. should I be looking on the inside or outside of my fw? This is really the first time i've seen these messages so i'm sorta green to them.

if you need more logs, let me know and i can provide here. thanks for the help!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is what syslog# 106016 means for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/system/message/logmsgs.html#wp4768961

And the traffic is coming from the outside interface/external to your network.

View solution in original post

Hi,

It could be a virus attack or it could be that someone is trying to compromise the network by sending traffic using a soofed ip address. The best way would be take sniffer so that you could see the MAC address of the faulty machine/source.

Also, if you want to disable this log message, you can do that as well, as follows:

no logging message 106016

HTH

Ashu

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is what syslog# 106016 means for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/system/message/logmsgs.html#wp4768961

And the traffic is coming from the outside interface/external to your network.

Hi,

It could be a virus attack or it could be that someone is trying to compromise the network by sending traffic using a soofed ip address. The best way would be take sniffer so that you could see the MAC address of the faulty machine/source.

Also, if you want to disable this log message, you can do that as well, as follows:

no logging message 106016

HTH

Ashu

thank you both for the answers.

i figured for sure it was coming form the outside but like i said, the debug wasn't very helpful when i was looking at it.

i'll setup a mirror port on my stack for the outside and see if i can catch it. thanks again, you've given me a great staring point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card