Views
Helpful
Replies

pri link ip address

vip80y_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I just wondering, which IP address on RouterD should I include on "session target ipv4" if for example:

RouterA would like to call RouterF, how do you direct the call to using the "PRI link" on RouterB >> RouterE >> RouterF? instead of going to RouterB >> RouterC >> RouterF as RouterC is set only for "backup link" incase if the "PRI link" is down.

eigrp/ospf routing protocol apply in this configuration....

RouterA--------------------RouterB------------------RouterC-|

10.0.0.1           10.0.0.2  |   10.0.0.3         10.0.0.4      | 10.0.0.9  

|                                               |

| (pri link - cloud)                  |(back up link)

|                                              |

RouterD-------------------RouterE-------------------RouterF-| 10.0.0.10

10.0.0.5             10.0.0.6      10.0.0.7         10.0.0.8

Thanks in advance,

Terrence

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You don't need to create a loopback it is just a recommendation. What you need to do is bind your call control and media to a specific interface. A loopback is recommended because it is a logical interface and, as such, is not subjected to link failures that could occur on a physical interface. In your diagram (which may change for the next question) RouterD may have just one link. So, one may say "hey, since it has one link I will just use that link.". That could be true, but when you put together a design for a real life situation, you want to make sure you apply a design aspect such as IP address allocation, the use of loopback, call signaling protocol, etc. etc. across all components. At least as much as possible.

So, is it required: no. Is it recommended? By me - yes.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Set up a loopback interface on router F and use the IP address assigned to

it as the target. Enable a dynamic routing protocol and Bob's your uncle.

My answer to this is the same as it was when first posed by you in this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3065696#3065696

Regards,

Bill

vip80y_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks James and thanks again William for your reply

but what happens if RouterA would like to call RouterD, so RouterA >> RouterB >> RouterE >> RouterD. Do I need to create a loopback int as well for RouterD?

Cheers,

Terrence

You don't need to create a loopback it is just a recommendation. What you need to do is bind your call control and media to a specific interface. A loopback is recommended because it is a logical interface and, as such, is not subjected to link failures that could occur on a physical interface. In your diagram (which may change for the next question) RouterD may have just one link. So, one may say "hey, since it has one link I will just use that link.". That could be true, but when you put together a design for a real life situation, you want to make sure you apply a design aspect such as IP address allocation, the use of loopback, call signaling protocol, etc. etc. across all components. At least as much as possible.

So, is it required: no. Is it recommended? By me - yes.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

thanks for your help....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: