Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving publisher to a new site and upgrading the cluster

Alex Alp Bahar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a question about moving the publisher to a new site and upgrading the cluster at the same time.

I have an existing CUCM v5 site with 1 publisher and 2 subscribers, Unity connection.

Now I want to add a new and much bigger site which will be connected via MPLS, different subnets.

The cluster will also be upgraded to v7.

Because the new site is much bigger, I want to move the publisher to the new site and add 2 subscribers on the new site. In the future there will be other smaller sites with local subscribers and also remote SRST sites.

At the end, old site will have 2 old subscribers, new site will have 2 new subscribers, and the relocated publisher and relocated Unity Connection.

I am thinking of running one TFTP server on each site. One on the old site subscriber, and on the new site publisher.

Both sites have less than 1500 phones.

Sites are within 2 hour drive from each other.

I am not aware of licensing implications.

I am thinking of:

- Upgrading the old site to CUCM V7, and upgrade Unity Connection.

- Relocating the publisher and unity servers to the new site.

- Update their ip addresses according to the new subnet.

- Make sure the cluster works fine.

- Add 2 new subscribers to the new site in a new CUCM group. Add phones.

My 1st priority is to minimize downtime.

Is this a good plan? Do you see any risk areas?

Thanks in advance for you comments!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your thought process is pretty good.  Be aware that when you move the Publisher, the Subscribers cannot process any moves/adds/changes.  So, this should be a planned outage.  Be careful with the re-IP.  It's straightforward but make sure that you have the hosts tables squared away on each server (show tech network hosts via CLI) and don't forget to change the CUCM name (if you're referencing by IP in CUCM Admin).  Lastly, ensure that all replication is good and shakeout the system BEFORE adding any servers to the cluster.  Ah, one more thing - there will be firmware upgrade considerations.  Best to try and upgrade to a compatible 7x version of phone firmware in advance to minimize downtime and hit on TFTP resources.  I typically recommend going to the version noted as the default for the version you are upgrading to.  If you wish to upgrade further, you can do so after that.  Doh!  One more thing, ensure that you have enough BW between sites to meet SRND recommendations (and of course latency must meet certain specs as well).

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

The licensing for the Publisher is tied to the MAC address of the Eth0 interface (could be Eth1, but not typical). So, changing the IP address has no bearing on the node license. However, to move from 5x to 7x - you will need to order the upgrade via the Product Upgrade Tool and be current on UCSS/ESW support for software updates. When you receive the upgrade kits, you'll need to register the PAK code and submit to Cisco to receive a new license for the Publisher. Shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as support is current. You will also need additional node licenses for the new Subscribers in order to add them to the cluster.

Hailey

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Your thought process is pretty good.  Be aware that when you move the Publisher, the Subscribers cannot process any moves/adds/changes.  So, this should be a planned outage.  Be careful with the re-IP.  It's straightforward but make sure that you have the hosts tables squared away on each server (show tech network hosts via CLI) and don't forget to change the CUCM name (if you're referencing by IP in CUCM Admin).  Lastly, ensure that all replication is good and shakeout the system BEFORE adding any servers to the cluster.  Ah, one more thing - there will be firmware upgrade considerations.  Best to try and upgrade to a compatible 7x version of phone firmware in advance to minimize downtime and hit on TFTP resources.  I typically recommend going to the version noted as the default for the version you are upgrading to.  If you wish to upgrade further, you can do so after that.  Doh!  One more thing, ensure that you have enough BW between sites to meet SRND recommendations (and of course latency must meet certain specs as well).

Hailey

Thanks for your advise. Pointed out very sensitive areas which are quite easy to overlook.

Do you see any issues with licensing due to publisher ip address change?

Regards.

The licensing for the Publisher is tied to the MAC address of the Eth0 interface (could be Eth1, but not typical). So, changing the IP address has no bearing on the node license. However, to move from 5x to 7x - you will need to order the upgrade via the Product Upgrade Tool and be current on UCSS/ESW support for software updates. When you receive the upgrade kits, you'll need to register the PAK code and submit to Cisco to receive a new license for the Publisher. Shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as support is current. You will also need additional node licenses for the new Subscribers in order to add them to the cluster.

Hailey

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: