cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ESX Etherchannels to 2148s

mflanigan
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has 2 N5ks and 4 2148s.  The N5ks have VPC between them, and the 2148s are single-homed, 2 to each N5K.  Am I corect in saying that an ESX box with a 4GB host etherchannel would have one connection to each 2148, and that the ports would be configured in a chennel-group on each N5K, and in a VPC instance between the 5Ks?

Thankls

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Well, in this case, I would preferably suggest you to even use the Nexus 1000v if you want to scale with all the vm's.

Otherwise the vswitch is fine too.

Under vswitch, bundle the 2 uplinks together (port-channel).

And physically have one to each FEX, that is how VPC will work.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

Your answer is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/configuration_guide_c07-543563.html

Look at figure 1 and figure 2.

Lucien,

Thank you for your response.  I am familiar with the doc you ponted me to.  My question was, since the doc only shows a single connection to each of the N5Ks, I wanted to be sure that if I had 4 server connections in a channel, that I could home one connection to each of 4 2148s, then home 2 of the 2148s to each N5K, and define a channel group on each N5K with 2 members in the group, then put the port channel in a vpc to get 4GB total.  I know the 2148s can only have a single connection each, but I was hoping the N5Ks could aggregate them.  The config would look like this:

int eth 100/1/1            First 2148

channel-group 10

int eth 101/1               Second 2148

channel-group 10

int port-channel 10      N5K VPC to peer with identical config

vpc 10

I think as long as there is only 1 link per 2148, I'm OK, but I want to be sure, due to the rather sevre limitations imposed by the 2148s.

Regards,

Mike Flanigan

Mike, that will be a no go. your first pair of N5K vpc would need to have a vpc peer link with the other pair of N5K vpc to communicate and avoid loops and this is not possible.

4 FEXs going to only 2 N5K wont work either and that's a FEX limitation.

The 2248 will support multiple ports to one server so you will be able to have 2 times 2 links to 2 fexs.

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com

Lucien,

Thanks again.  I believe I understand your answer - I'll need to get with the custimer.  Am I right then in saying that the ESX vswitch could be configured to support 2 2GB channels,instead of a single 4GB channel, each channel with a single connection to a 2148?  That is in accordance with the diagrams.  The 2148s would see the 2 ESX channels as separate hosts.  Can you confirm this?

Thanks

Regards,

Mike Flanigan

Well, in this case, I would preferably suggest you to even use the Nexus 1000v if you want to scale with all the vm's.

Otherwise the vswitch is fine too.

Under vswitch, bundle the 2 uplinks together (port-channel).

And physically have one to each FEX, that is how VPC will work.

Lucien,

Many thanks, I will proceed along these lines.  Not in a position to do 1000v yet, but I understand the idea.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: