Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise cables on 3750

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

There's something peculiar about what I read in an article on Cisco's site, and I'm wanting to get clarification:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

The bottom part in this article under Figure 10: Local Switching, indicates that Stackwise doesn't locally switch, but Stackwise+ does. It *sounds* like if I send traffic from port 3/2 to port 3/23, it's going to circle the ring before getting to the port. Am I reading this right? Stackwise+ is only available on the 3750-E switches, and I have 3750-G.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

j.blakley wrote:

oooo...look at the badge Congrats!

The article looks like it goes against everything a switch is supposed to do for port-to-port traffic....now you have traffic traversing the stack cable needlessly.....

John

Thanks for the congrats, still can't get used to seeing it each time i log in

Does seem to be a bit counterintuitive but i can't see any other way of reading it.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

j.blakley wrote:

All,

There's something peculiar about what I read in an article on Cisco's site, and I'm wanting to get clarification:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

The bottom part in this article under Figure 10: Local Switching, indicates that Stackwise doesn't locally switch, but Stackwise+ does. It *sounds* like if I send traffic from port 3/2 to port 3/23, it's going to circle the ring before getting to the port. Am I reading this right? Stackwise+ is only available on the 3750-E switches, and I have 3750-G.

Thanks,

John

John

I just read the whole article and have come to the same conclusion as you ie. with Stackwise because it does not support local switching and because it uses soruce stripping even a packet destined for a port on the same switch has to go right round the stack ring. Odd but that's what it is saying. I'll do a bit more digging but i think you are right in this.

Jon

The article looks like it goes against everything a switch is supposed to do for port-to-port traffic....now you have traffic traversing the stack cable needlessly.....

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

j.blakley wrote:

John

Thanks for the congrats, still can't get used to seeing it each time i log in

Does seem to be a bit counterintuitive but i can't see any other way of reading it.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card