Views
Helpful
Replies

WRV54G VPN public wifi

wayne_harper
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WRV54G VPN router.
If I set up the VPN on the router  & and a client laptop , will I be able to use it for secure web  browsing when at public wifi? Is there anything more that needs to be  done?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

cchamorr
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the VPN, because after it is established you will still be using the internet from the public place, the only difference is that you will be connected to your home network.

I guess that what you could do is to established the VPN, then start a Remote desktop session with one of your PC's at the remote destination and surf the web from that RDP session, but I don't think is the best solution.

There are some software solutions that may be more effective, even windows 7 has a feature that will allow you to surf the wed in a secure way.

Hope this helps.

>you will still be using the internet from the public place, the only  difference is that you will be connected to your home network.

Wont anything I do in a web browser from public wifi be encrypted if I have a VPN running?

>even windows 7 has a feature that will allow you to surf the wed in a  secure way.

could you elaborate on this please?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: