cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple SIP Trunks with UC520

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to know when there will be multiple SIP trunks on the UC520 (command line or CCA -- don't care which)?  I've seen a document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/sip/configuration/guide/sip_cg-multi-registrars.html

but I don't think it works yet for the UC520.

Thanks.

Joe

39 Replies 39

alfred.thyri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joe,

works as described in the document. I have a UC500 connected to a "standard" SIP Trunk Voice Service Provider and Skype for SIP.

regards,

Alfred

Hi Alfred,

What UC5x0 do you have --  20,40, or 60?  I don't want to assume it's on all units.  When I goto the CLI on the UC520 it says that I can only have one authentication and to remove the one I have in there.  That's where I got stuck.  I was able to add the register 1, register 2 though.  The Doc doesn't mention anything about authentication 1, authentication 2 etc.  Besides I did a authentication ? anyway.  So, it won't let me add more then one authentication.  I need it for my main SIP provider and Skype like yourself.

I have the latest CCA and software pack (IOS, etc.).

Any tips?

Thanks.

Joe

Hi Joe,

UC520 running ios 15.0(1)XA2/CME8.0

You can use different authentications, but the username has to be the same - not very flexible.

I don't need authentication for my main SIP Provider...

regards,

Alfred

Hi Alfred,

Thought so...that's the part I'm hoping will change on the 520.  I'll need the two different authentications.  I heard it was coming out very soon (maybe already) to the 540.

Joe

This has been an 'issue' with CME for quite a while.  I have spoken with the business group about it and was told that they get very little requests for this.  In general, most corporate SIP providers secure based on source/destination address whereas most residential providers are reliant on user/pass requirements.  Hence the low amount of requests.

Mine is enterprise and uses User Name and Password.  Total Requests + 1.

Preachin' to the choir here!

Check the FAQ below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9830#Does_UC500_support_multiple_SIP_trunks

With the 8.0.x software pack on the UC500s (any model) - you can support multiple SIP trunk providers with different authentication and registrar servers - note this is only via CLI and is NOT CCA compatible at this time, so be aware of that.

Snip from link in FAQ above:

The Support for Multiple Registrars on SIP Trunks on a Cisco Unified  Border Element, on Cisco IOS SIP TDM Gateways, and on Cisco Unified  Communications Manager Express feature provides support for simultaneous  registration with multiple registrars for endpoints on Cisco IOS SIP  TDM gateways, Cisco UBEs, and Cisco Unified CME. This feature allows  outbound and inbound traffic to be distributed across different service  providers while simultaneously providing redundancy for users supported  on these devices.

The authentication behavior can handle  challenges from different service providers for SIP REGISTER and SIP  INVITE/Other messages.

You can specify a realm, which acts as a  unique key for picking up username and password authentication details  for each endpoint.

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

That's great.  However I get the message:

Only one username per device supported
Please unconfigure previous authentication information

This is what prompted the original post.  So, if you have any tips of what I could be doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Actually, after reading the example again I see it uses MyUsername and MyPassword1, MyPassword2, etc.  This makes me think that the Username has to be identical, which has been my problem right from the begining.  That's a pretty important piece of information but I don't see it anywhere in the doc.  As well, what are the chances two ITSPs give you the same Username?  I don't get why this is not possible after all this time since it's release.

Out of curiousity, what provider are you using?

Currently this is a limitation which is documented at below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/sip/configuration/guide/sip_cg-multi-registrars.html#wp1070133

Note Configuring more than one username is not  supported—you must remove any currently configured username before  configuring a new username.

We are looking at removing this restriction in the next major SW release - 8.1.x. See the schedule below:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9827

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the info.  That's great it's on the roadmap.

If my ITSP allows registration by public IP address and the other is by authentication username and password, then how does that get setup on the command line?  Anything you can write out or doc to point me to?

Skype allows authentication by username or IP so that might solve my problem.  I just don't know how to change it to IP on the UC because it talks about usernames and passwords?

Thanks.

If the registration is based on IP address, what that means the SP is only going to accept SIP messages from a specific IP address. Hence you need to use a static IP address on the WAN side of the UC520 and UC520 will use that for SIP messages to the SP. Make sure the SP allows this IP address. No other config is required on the UC520 per se.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: