cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV082 with QuickVPN VPN Passthru?

gphillips
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a configuration that will accept QuickVPN users with an RV082 that is tunneled to another remote network.  The QuickVPN users need access to IP's on the remote network.  Essentially:

Ad-Hoc Users <- QuickVPN Tunnels -> RV082 (192.168.55.*) <- Static Tunnel -> VPN Router (10.*.*.*)

This works if I use Windows PPTP connections instead of QuickVPN tunnels, but there are only 5 PPTP connections available.  With PPTP I can ping machines in the 10.0.0.0 network and the 192.168.55.0, but with QuickVPN I can only ping 192.168.55.0 machines.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

kiboro999
Level 1
Level 1

I have this exact problem. QuickVPN was why we bought the RV082 but it doesn't seem to work properly.

To start with it doesn't work like a true TCP transport. It appears to 'steal' packets from the network stack and transfers them to the LAN. This means that clients come in with the IP address allocated by their home router so my servers don't trust them. What happens when we get two clients with the same IP address (which is likely to happen given how home routers are set up) is anyone's guess.

Secondly as the OP states QuickVPN clients only have access to the local LAN. Our RV082 has a gateway to gateway tunnel to our hosted servers and a couple of static routes via relay servers and QuickVPN clients have no access to them.

If I'd realised this when I first bought the RV082 I would have returned it.