Views
Helpful
Replies

Music format for 4305g DMPs query

lindam005
Level 1
Level 1

Good afternoon,

Has anyone tried to copy just music to a 4305g DMP (either internal storage or external USB) and have it play the music?

If you have, can you please tell me what format the music files should be and whether you add the files to the internal storage card or and external USB?

I'm currently running with DMM version 5.1 and have tried adding the music (.m4a format) only but can't get any music to play.

If the music has to be in a playlist, what should the format be?

Also, if you have a playlist with say 50 music pieces, can the DMP play the music randomly rather than music pieces in order, if so, can you tell me what I need to configure and how?

I can play music if the playlist is created with a video but I have a requirement to create playlist with music only and no video.

Many thanks

Linda

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes,

I verified that this works on DMP-4305G & DMP-4400G running 5.2.

For Randomization, I just set up a playlist with all of the mp3 files and

click on the Randomize checkbox and the playlist shuffles the songs.

If this answers your question, Please take time to mark this
discussion answered & rate the response.

Thank You!

T.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Tomas de Leon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The DMPs have the following Audio Codecs:

Audio codecs

• Audio MPEG1 Layers 1 and 2
• MP3
• MPEG4 AAC Low Complexity
• AC-3
• Audio data rate: 64-320 kbps

Note: Please consult other Cisco documentation or your local Cisco representative for exact audio codec, video codec, resolution, bit-rate, and encapsulation combinations.

I have tested MP3 and works fine...

Data Sheets

Thank You!

T.

Hi Tomas.

We have also tried to deploy .mp3 files but still can't get any sound.

When we created the playlist (with .mp3 files only) and deployed the package (via DMM), it asked to select the package type and options were:

* Video (.mpg, .mpeg, .mp4)

* Shockwave Flash (.swf)

* Images (.jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png)

* HTML (.htm, .html)

* Firmware (.fwimg, .bin, .tivella)

* UDP (multicast)

We chose * Video option and I can see the two .mp3 files on the internal flash drive but they still don't play.  Are we supposed to choose a different option, if so which one?

If you copy the .mp3 files differently, can you please tell me the steps you take to copy the files to the internal flash drive and also what steps you take to test so that you can hear the music?

Once the package was deployed, we couldn't hear any sound so we also tried the following:

1) Log onto the DMP (adding DMP IP address into a new browser and adding user name and password)

2) Clicked on 'Play Video File Stored Locally' link under 'Display Action' Menu

3) Entered the location of the playlist in the URL text box

4) Clicked on Start

Still no sound.

I tried various combinations for the playlist and none worked, it may be that I'm not specifying the location correctly.

We don't have any issues in playing video files.  The video files play automatically once the package is deployed.

I have attached a document with screen prints for clarity.

Thank you kindly.

Linda

Linda,

Using version 5.2 on a DMP-4400G, I simply used an FTP client and copied the

music.mp3 file to the DMP and placed into

the (self created) music directory.

Once the file is copied successfully, I entered

the following URL in the DISPLAY ACTIONS-->MEDIA URL

file:///tmp/ftproot/usb_1/music/music.mp3

Click START and the music plays successfully.

T.

Hi Tomas,

I'm using version 5.1,  Maybe the version is the issue.

Cheers

Linda

Linda,

yes, the DMP version is your issue.

Note from the 5.1 DMP-DM user guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/dmp/user/guide/DMPDMcfg.html#wp1093469

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_1/dmp/user/guide/DMPDMcfg.html#wp1094506

Note To simulate an audio-only file (given that we do not support their use directly), create an MPEG-2 file that contains all of the audio data that you want to play and contains just one frame of video data.

You will need to upgrade to 5.2 for audio only support or create a video file with audio only.

I hope this answers your questions.

T.

Thank you Tomas.

That's exactly what I thought.  I know it works when we add a video frame to the playlist, we were hoping we could get it working without having to add the video frame.

I haven't seen version 5.2 in action as yet but I know we will be upgrading shortly so can I ask please, if we have 200 songs stored in the local storage or even external USB, is there any configuration that can be set to have the music played randomly rather than in the stored sequence?

Thank you.

Cheers

Linda

Hi Tomas,

I have just been informed that the upgrade to version 5.2 will enable the capability to have audio only playlists but on the 4400 and not 4305g.  Can you please confirm that an upgrade to version 5.2 will support audio only on 4305g DMPs?

Many thanks

Linda

Yes,

I verified that this works on DMP-4305G & DMP-4400G running 5.2.

For Randomization, I just set up a playlist with all of the mp3 files and

click on the Randomize checkbox and the playlist shuffles the songs.

Thank You!

T.

Hi Tomas.

This is definitely music to my ears.

Looking forward to seeing it work once we upgrade.

Many thanks.

Linda

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: