Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ip communicator is compatible with MAC operating system

Jamil Hussain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I had deplyoed CUCM 7 in my company and i am installing ip commmunicator on users laptop but my owner is using MAC Operating system and he is asking me to install on his laptop is CIPC is compatible with MAC os

Please let me know

i shall be very thankfull to you.

Regards

Jamil hussain

9 Replies 9

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

No, there is no Mac version of CIPC.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would need to check the compatibilty matrix which you can do by

viewing the release notes....but natively, I think the only client

explicitly compatible with Mav is CUPC. I may stand corrected but I

believe CIPC would need to run in a VMWare environment overlaying the

Mac OS. you can verify with install guide and release notes.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 5, 2010, at 3:17 AM, "hussain.jamil"

Thanks for your reply

which softphone i can use to work on MAC OS with cisco call manager 7.0

Because my Chairman asked me to find Compatible Softphone work with cisco call manager and on MAC OS.

Best Regards

Jamil hussain

We looked into this as well for MAC and Cisco confirmed that only CUPS Client will work on MAC`s. You may have to look at other maybe SIP based Softphones such as Bria from Counterpath?

I have also used another Counterpath product called "X-Lite". I did a write up on how to integrate 3rd party SIP phones to CUCM here:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-x-lite-as-an-example.html

I also here that in the 8.0 release of CIPC it will be MAC-friendly. Apparently, Cisco has decided to leverage the client services framework (CSF) that was first introduced with apps like CUCIMOC. The 8.0 version of CUPC (the CUPS client) is using CSF and rumor is that CIPC will use the same framework. This means that since the CSF is MAC-compatible, CIPC will likely run on MACs with the 8.0 release. This is speculation on my part based on tidbits of data like this thread:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3048338#3048338

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

In modern Apple, since few years already, Windows compatibility is simply a window in which one runs XP typically.

You do not need to install any VM software for that.

Consequantly, running IPCP for Windows on Apple is very easy and works well.

Could you expand on the statement: " You do not need to install any VM software for that"? You need to run some sort of virtualization engine. Vmware, parallels, something. Or you need to run Bootcamp and dual boot the machine to Windows for a softphone (which no one but a developer would do).

I have had customers want CIPC and could only load it if they had a Windows VM loaded. Again, Parrallels or vmware fusion. Now, it is true that you can configure the Mac so that it runs a Windows OS in a window on the machine and if you didn't know better you would think "hey this is running natively in Mac". But such is not the case, it is still using a vm engine to get the job done.

Now, all of this is based on my understanding. I am still waiting to receive my new macbook pro and have been experiencing the issues through colleagues and there woes. So, by all means if you can load the CIPC without running a VM of some sort then I want to know how you accomplished this. It would be really helpful.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Paolo, that is not quite accurate.  It will *appear* that way on a properly configured system though.  There are two basic ways to run Windows on a Mac:

- Virtual: VMware or Parallels and load Windows (or any OS inside a virtual machine)

- Dual Boot: Bootcamp allows a native Windows installation on an Intel based Mac that you can choose to boot into *instead* of Mac OS

Now, if you combine these by using the Bootcamp method and also installing VMware or Parallels you can configure the VM software to use the native Windows installation in a way that will appear as if you are just running a Windows application in a Mac OS window along side others.

Having done this, the one thing I will add is that you want to use the most powerful CPU and most memory you can afford to get a good experience running two OS's at the same time.

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hi guys, thank you for correcting me.

I admit I'm not a Mac expert at all, I can only relate what I saw in action, XP in a window on some kind of macbook.

Not sure what the guy was using for that, if VMware or Parallels or Fusion, I won't doubt is additional software anyway.

I know for sure that for a Mac expert, converging the two platforms is like doing a ping with options for us.

That puts further away the chances that Cisco will do a client, if ever there have been.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: