Query: Running Reports restricted to VERY short time window by WCS

Unanswered Question
May 5th, 2010

Hello

Can anyone help, or am I just encountering a rather annoying performance issue in WCS?

Our network is 800 AP, typically 2000 unique users at the peak and I want to run a Detailed Client Report, specifying only protocol and Authentication as the required columns/data in the report. this is in order to to find out who is logging in using 802.11b so we can try and manage 802.11b off the network.

However when I run the report, specifying a time period of 4 weeks, the WCS comes back with an error telling me that there are too many records available and to reduce the serach criteria.

I have done this and find that the only useful report I get is one covering the last 5 days, which I think is pretty poor indeed. Am I missing some method of getting the WCS performance to improve to a level one would expect or is the product just poor at producing management information reports?

thanks

Bryn

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tysonhall Wed, 05/12/2010 - 07:52

Which software version are you running and what are your hardware specs?  We are running 6.0.181.0 and have over 2500 AP's and I ran the report for 3 months back and I am not getting any errors.

rsreeves1 Tue, 06/08/2010 - 14:49

Did you ever find a solution to this?  I run 6.0.181.0, and I'm encountering the same issue.  If I try to run a Client Sessions report for anything longer than the last 2 weeks, WCS pops up a window saying, “The report you are trying to generate contains more than the supported number of records (100000). Change the report criteria to generate a report with fewer records.”  For just the last 2 weeks, the total number of records is under 13,000 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} , so I did some experimenting, and long story short, I discovered that I only encounter this problem if I try to run a long term report that includes any part of the last 7 days within the time frame.

What is it about the most recent 7 days' worth of data that is bogging down the report?  I'm wondering if this has something to do with what's configured in Administration > Settings > Client.  Here's what the documentation has to say about it:

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

In the Data Retention section, enter or edit the following data retention parameters. Client association

history can take a lot of database and disk space. This can be an problem for database backup and restore

functions. You can configure the retaining duration of a client association history to help manage this

potential issue.

·  Client (days)—Enter the number of days that you want WCS to retain the data. The default is 7 days. The valid range is 1 to 365 days.

·  Client (records)—Enter the number of client records that you want WCS to retain.

·  Client session history (days)—The default is 31 days. The maximum is 365 days.

·  Client session history (records)—The default (and maximum) is 1 million records.

Perhaps the "Client" records contain a lot more data and are included in the sessions report?  The only problem is, there's no explanation of what the difference is between "Client" records and "Client session history" records.  Does anyone know more about this?  The documentation is a bit vague...

ipvoiipvoi Wed, 03/28/2012 - 05:06

Hello All,

Has anyone ever find the solution for this.

Suddenly, our WCS is giving this message when creating new reports :

“The report you are trying to generate contains more than the supported  number of records (100000).

Change the report criteria to generate a  report with fewer records.”

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion