cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3825 WAN capabilities

pboren
Level 1
Level 1

All,  I was wondering since I just found out that my Cisco 3825 router cannot support two DS3 WAN cards at full speed at the same time, is there a document somewhere or a web URL that gives direction in this area?  I am wanting to add another WAN 50Mbps Ethernet through another ISP and plan on using the second 10/100/1000 Ethernet port on the router, can the router handle this with BGP between the two ISPs?

Regards,

Patrick Boren

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

hope this link helps to understand the features/limitations of cisco 3825

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html

Also regarding running bgp on this you need to make sure that you have enough memory to handle the routes provided by your service provider.

if you have enough memory to handle the same then you dont need to worry about the same.

are you going to take the full internet routes from your sp?

regds

I'm not sure on the BGP.  What are my options?

Does choosing an option reduce our internet capabilities?  What are the purposes of the BGP

options and the expectations of the choices?

Thanks for your response, this is our first time looking into using BGP because we are going to be having two separate ISPs.

Regards,

Patrick Boren

Hi Patrick

Untill unless if you are not a small time service provider i dont see any merit in getting full routes from the ISP.

Instead you can ask them to advertise default routes which you can make use to navigate onto the outside world.

Your internal requirements should drive you to priortize or decide upon getting the full route or not.

Getting full routes regardless of the requirements / considerations is also a case, infact as a custom in few places where i have seen myself.

regds

Prem,

As my wife would say, Bohut, bohut sukria!  The information you have provided is golden.  We are a small college so I do believe the default route option and not full routes is the route (no pun intended) I planning on taking.

Sukria mera dost,

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: